Chapter 4: Why Papyrus Hid the Timeline Papers

fun level 74 Original MC Sans and Frisk

--------------------------------------------

Toriel's Home . . .

Alphys shared some tea with Toriel. Toriel noticed that she still looked a little nervous. "She remembers you. She has a remarkable memory of us."

"Well. You'd think a human might believe it's a dream after awhile," Alphys remarked. "She couldn't remember that much."

"Trauma can greatly affect a child," Toriel said, "and she fell in the middle of her trauma. She was trying to outrun people who had kidnapped her from her home."

"Oh." Alphys stirred her tea. "That would explain a lot." Alphys didn't really drink tea, but she didn't want to seem rude when she came over. In fact, Alphys had never even visited Toriel in the Ruins. They weren't the closest of friends, and the other side of Waterfall was as far as she traveled to see Undyne. The queen sounded awful on the phone though, like she really needed to talk to someone about something, and didn't quite know who to turn to.

Alphys sat the tea back down after a couple of sips. Maybe Toriel wouldn't notice she didn't drink as much. "So, what is it you wanted my help with?"

"The human, when she goes over . . ." Toriel paused. "When she goes over into the door we cannot get to, is there a way we can look after her?"

"No monster can make it in there. The power just drains out before anyone even reaches the door," Alphys reminded her.

"I know, but, is there something that we can do to help her? To watch over her? Can?" Toriel's red eyes were glossy. "I want freedom, but not at the cost of her, Alphys."

"Well?" Alphys picked the tea back up and stirred before putting it back down. "We could put a mini camera on her maybe?" She suggested. "Find out what's going on back there?"

"Okay, but what could we do with that information?"

"I . . . I don't know?" Alphys watched Toriel turn away, shielding her eyes from her. "I'm sorry. I don't know. If we knew how to get past in the first place, if we could make any progress, then the human wouldn't be down here."

"Her name is Frisk. Calling her human all the time isn't right. I'm trying to correct it myself," Toriel said as she stood up. "Frisk will be staying with me while she heals, and then she will return to her world."

"But, Queen Toriel?" Alphys stood up too. "The human, I mean, Frisk, uhh . . . I-it could get out still? But? What if it doesn't come back?"

"I almost wouldn't mind if it didn't," Toriel confessed as she shook her head. "They are making her destroy her own soul. As we speak, there is a small piece of her soul already missing. She has absolutely no faith in anything. She must heal, but even then? Her tiny hand. It was so bad, I couldn't even heal all of it. Just the small parts of fractured b-bone."

"But, it's not a child anymore," Alphys tried to help her understand. "If she can help free us, then-"

"Come. Come see for yourself." Toriel led her toward her guest bedroom. While heading there, she could have sworn she saw someone by her stairs. "Did you see something?"

"Huh?" Alphys asked. "No. Where is she?"

"This way." Toriel continued to the guest room. "The woman is sleeping. Be very quiet." She opened the door. On the right bed was Frisk. "You've never seen her this time, this close I believe?"

"Oh my." She did grow! Well, she wasn't taller but she had changed. It was clear she was a girl. Her hair was soft and longer. Alphys even noticed that she seemed to have filled out just like a human woman did. How the years had passed since it had been down there. It felt like not very long ago. "Humans age so fast."