Chapter 16: If I Were King

fun level 74 Original MC Sans and Frisk

To the hole . . .

"There it is." Relief settled over Frisk like a thick fog, Sans saw it all over her.

"Yes. There it is." Caleb came out of the car gloomily with Asriel and Sans coming out the other sides. "The offer still stands. You know? Everything's ready over here." He gestured to Sans. "But, you and your monster . . . you know."

"You know what?" Asriel spoke up.

Uh oh. Sans headed for the hole. "Whoah, I have a lot of explaining to do with Papyrus, better get going."

"No, wait." Asriel put up his hand toward Sans as he looked toward Caleb. "What do you mean, 'you know?' Why didn't you say monsters, not monster?"

"Well, because." Caleb gestured at Frisk. "Frisk and the skeleton are clearly in a relationship."

"No, they are not. Not to my knowledge."

Bam. Well, it didn't matter. They were already at the hole. "Come on, Frisk," Sans insisted.

"They are not? But, what about the sleeping problem? He needs to stay right next to her," Caleb insisted. "Right?"

"That one is true," Frisk said, before Asriel could speak. "It's true. I'm fine, as long as I stay near Sans."

Asriel was still staring at the two of them, back and forth. "Are you two in a relationship?"

"Um. Well?" Sans chuckled. "Maybe . . . a type of ship." Leave it to her brother to dismantle their previous lies.

"Friendship," Frisk said, her face showing she'd been beat. "We are just friends."

"Yeah, but, still got to get our souls corrected," Sans added, "and still need a half monster newborn to open the barrier, Caleb, so, you know? Tough break, pal." He gestured with his skull. "Come on, Frisk, let's go."

"That's why you're with him. That's the only reason?" Caleb rushed to her side, bending down and grabbing her hands. "Well then, what if I can do it for you? What if I find a way to either get the barrier open, or expand the pocket so all the monsters can sneak out? Then, would you come back to me?"

"You came on real strong." Frisk tried to look away. "Caleb, I-"

"But Frisk, I promise, I won't rush you. I'll take care of the house and your pets, just for you." He patted her hand, his eyes dancing in bliss. "But, I won't buy your old car or anything else. I won't do anything else. Just?"

No, Frisk. Already gave him a second chance at friendship with the whole lying thing. Sans watched her face though. He could see it right away. Frisk's forgiving spirit. It's what kept the Underground safe when she was first down there and scared. And it was strong. And . . .

"I can't exactly promise that," Frisk said, "but . . . I'd be open to it?"

"Promise, Frisk," Sans reminded her. "You made a promise."

"I know, I know. Wait on marriage. No hurry." Frisk looked back at Caleb.

"Oh? Oh, that's what you were talking about when I came back to my seat." That made Caleb even cheerier. "So there really is no one else?"

"My sister is awake only two days every month," Asriel said to Caleb. "Of course there's no one else. Think about it. The only one there could possibly be is Sans. If they are not a couple, then there is no one."