20

Jaerin walked in the dark alley as she embraced her black jacket tighter and closer to herself, she let out a sigh as she looked up to the midnight sky, the stars are twinkling at the black sky, the moon shining brightly and it's shape round like a perfect circle.

The alley is quiet and her footsteps were the only thing that can be heard, breaking the silence as the cold midnight breeze continued brushing her hair softly, like a mother's touch.

She pulled her hoodie over her head as it fell below her forehead, covering her tired eyes a little as she continued walking to nowhere, she let her footsteps carry her somewhere.

She snuck out of the dorm as she felt very suffocated and exhausted, the hate comments flashed in her eyes as she shook it off and quickened her pace.

Both of her hands dangling on the side of her waist, she continued to walk as she bumped into a shoulder on the process, she mumbled a sorry as she walked off again, not noticing the burning glare of the man that she bumped into.

"Watch where you're going, kid." His cold voice made Jaerin freeze as it sent shivers down her spine, giving her goosebumps.

She continued walking as a hand gripped her wrist tightly as she was sent flying to a roll up gate as her nose scrunch up, pain bursting in her back as she was slammed, causing a loud sound echoing throughout the alley.

Jaerin's brows knitted together in anger as her fists balled up, clenching it tightly until it turned milky white as she grit her teeth.

The man laughed as he smirked, "Acting tough, huh?"

He caressed her chin using his thumb as she immediately slapped it away, growling which made the man laugh again, his smirk growing.

"You've been bumping me on the shoulder for the past few days, kid. I think I should try and teach you some manners." The man said as he cracked his knuckles but Jaerin didn't move an inch nor flinch, she stayed still on the ground, her fists still clenched tightly.

It's true, she bumped into a couple of guys in the same alley but she didn't know that it's the same person.

Jaerin walked off but got slammed again on the roll up door as she grit her teeth, the pain coming back but it fortunately subsided.

She experienced worse than this, she knows how to fight,

The man threw a punch but Jaerin dodged it as she ducked and kicked the man on the stomach, stumbling backwards, the smirk on his face only grew bigger as he sent another punch on her jaw and she didn't dodge it,

She felt blood forming on her mouth when another punch was sent on her cheek, wounding it as blood rolled and seeped on the wound.

Jaerin punched the man right on the cheek as she kicked him in the stomach again as he fell on the ground, grunting.

She sat down on his chest and punched him on the cheek but was stopped when the man gripped her wrist, twisting it and forcing her to the cold ground as she screamed in pain.

The man grabbed her collar and slammed her to the roll up gate for the third time as she slammed her fist to the man's cheeks, blood seeping out of her knuckles and to the floor, leaving crimson red droplets as she breathed heavily.

She wiped off the blood off of her cheek as she walked off, limping slightly due to her aching back.

Walking deeper to the alley, she tripped on her own feet and landed on the ground with her eyes closed, a few tears escaped her eyes as she stood up, legs wobbling slightly and continued walking.

Her feet brought her to a park nearby as she sat down on the wooden bench and stared at her bleeding knuckles and sighed.

She stared at the empty park, the empty playground that's filled with kids all morning and afternoon, playing with their friends happily.

The metal slide caught her attention as a small smile crept up on her lips, memories of her brother rushing to her mind.

It was a peaceful day, the sun is slowly setting, leaving the sky into a golden color as leaves dancing on the ground and flying on the air like a dust,

Jaerin sat down on the swing and pushed herself using her feet but failed to do so as she tried again, but instantly failed as she pouted.

She left the swing and sat down beside her brother who's busy admiring the beauty of the nature, the swaying leaves of the trees, golden sun slowly setting, the bright green grass they're sitting on and the birds chirping happily.

Jaehyun smiled and pulled her little sister closer to him, placing his arm around her shoulder with a smile,

Cold breeze brushed their hair and faces as Jaerin shivered, making her older brother pulled her closer to share his comforting warmth that she always loved,

"Yah,"

The peaceful silence was broken as the siblings looked up and saw a boy who's obviously taller and older than the two,

Jaehyun who's turning twelve stood up and protected Jaerin behind him, stretching his arm to his side so that the bully won't get her.

"What do you want?" Jaehyun's voice was cold, no emotions unlike when he talks with his little sister,

"Money. Give us some money and we'll leave you alone." The bully said which made Jaehyun wrap his arms on Jaerin,

"We don't have money so it's better for you to leave us alone." Jaehyun said as Jaerin peeked her head behind his brother's back, her lower lip trapped with her two front teeth, her eyes wide as it glistened with fear.

As fast as a lightning, Jaehyun is now on the ground, his cheek turning purplish as he stood up and throw a punch on the bully which made the latter stumble backwards, holding his cheek.

Jaerin, who's now shaking in anger grabbed a big pebble, maybe even bigger than the bully's head as she screamed in anger, her eyes burning as her teeth gritted.

"Don't hurt Jaehyun!" She screamed as she threw the pebble right on his temple which immediately started bleeding as the bully pushed the younger girl on the ground harshly.

"Jae!" Jaehyun said as he checked his little sister for wounds, his brows knitted in anger as he saw the bleeding wound on her knee, it looks deep and might leave a scar behind.

Jaehyun punched the bully as he tackled him harshly on the ground, sending him punches but stopped when the bully gave him another punch and ran for his life.

The two siblings went home and they got grounded for a week, instead of throwing a tantrum, they smiled as they got to be grounded together.

Jaerin smiled as the scene flashed on her eyes, tears escaping, heart aching.

She sniffed and slowly walked to the swing, sitting on it carefully as it made a rusty sound which rang in her ear as she pushed herself on the swing, but just like what happened that day, she failed.

And that's when her heart started to ache as memories started rushing on her mind as her breathe hitched,

Her vision cloudy, she stood up and fell on the grass as she tried to catch her breathe, hyperventilating.

Jaehyun leaving left a very deep wound on her heart that doesn't seem to heal even with her efforts of moving on and telling herself that it's okay and he'll come back.

She tried to forget him but forgetting him is harder than what she expected, she wanted to erase him from herself, from her world, but it only hurt more because Jaehyun has carved something deep in his heart that no one can remove.

She felt a warm hand on her shoulder as she tried her best to catch her breathe, her chest is tight and oxygen can't seem to pass thru her nostrils.

"Jaerin! Breathe!"

© staerryniights
  — kookarchives