Chapter 33

Chapter 33

-Katniss's POV-

"Up! Up! Up! Today is a big, big day!" Effie yells through the house. I toss the covers off and go up to the mirror. Peeta comes behind me all of a sudden and hugs me. "You're beautiful." He mumbles in my neck. I turn over so I'm facing him and smile. "I love you." I whisper. He grins, "I love you too baby." I give him a long passionate kiss and walk out of the room.

"Time to go!" Effie says, pushing us all out the door.

-Time Flash-

As I wait in my room with only a thin robe on I rub my baby bump. I hum the song my dad would sing to Prim and I when we were little. The Hanging Tree. Suddenly I feel a little kick. I gasp, "My baby's first kick!" I squeal of happiness. "C'mon sweetie do it again." I whisper. She kicks again and I smile. My stylist comes in. "You must be my beautiful pregnant tribute." He says. The dark skinned man has gold eyeliner on and a gentle smile on his face.

"My baby kicked for the first time." I say, all bubbly. Ugh hormones.

He raises eyebrows, "Really? May I?" He asks, directing towards feeling her kick. I nod and he puts his hand on my stomach. She doesn't kick. I start humming the hanging tree again. She starts kicking and the stylist grins. "The baby must like his or hers mothers voice."

I nod and reply, "It's a her. Also my name is Katniss." I stick my hand out and he takes it in his own. "Cinna." He greets back. I smile. "What you did out there for your sister, was incredibly brave." He praises, all of a sudden serious. I look down sadly, "I wasn't going to let her die out there. She's so little and doesn't know anything about surviving. I can hunt, she can heal."

He nods, "Well tonight is the tribute parade. I'm supposed to dress you up in something that represents your district." I sigh, "Coal mining." He grunts, "But I'm not going to do that. I want to do something that they'll remember."

I play with my fingers, "I'm not good at making friends." I was just lucky to have nice friends that would include me in their group. "We'll see." He smiles.

~Time Flash~

"You're gonna what!" Madge cries out. "Don't worry it's fake." Cinna assures. Suddenly Peeta comes in with his costume on. He comes beside me and I whisper, "The baby kicked Peeta." He grins and his eyes light up. "Really?" He asks, joyful. I nod, he puts his hand on my stomach and she kicks rapidly.

"Wow, she sure likes you." I laugh.

"Mm she's a daddy's girl." He replies with a smirk.

I scrunch my nose, "Don't push it. She likes my singing." I reply cocky and push him lightly.

"Don't push it." He mocks. "Hey!" I laugh. He comes behind me and picks me up by my waist. He twirls around and my legs stick out. I laugh and laugh. He stops and tickles my sides, "Peeta, Peeta stop!" I pant, giggling. He spins me around and plants a kiss on my lips. I smile and Haymitch comes in, "Alright lovebirds you can stop now."

I break the kiss and scowl at him, "Never been in love Haymitch?"

"I have, but she's dead now." He grumbles.

"Well that's depressing..." I groan. "You two are relationship goals." Madge laughs.

"That hurt." Gale says. She shrugs, "That's a shame."

"Alright alright, that's enough." Haymitch rolls his eyes.

We stop and turn our attention towards him. "Get on the chariot. The first on is Katniss and Peeta go first then the second one is Madge and Gale." He directs to the chariots. Peeta helps me up since it's hard to climb, being pregnant and all. I smooth my black suit and gently touch my braided to the side hair. Peeta gets up and stands next to me. Madge and Gale get in theirs behind ours. District 1 rolls out then district 2, 3 and so on.

I haven't seen any of the tributes yet. Cinna brings out a torch and sets is on (fake) fire. I gasp as it tingles my skin. The flames inhale me and we roll off. People gasp at our costumes and cheer. I fury my eyebrows at them, they are cheering on our death. I feel something on my hand and intently pull it away. Then I see it was just Peeta. "C'mon they'll love it." He encourages. At first I'm about to slap his shoulder asking him why should be pleasure those blood thirsty monsters but then I realize we need sponsors and keep this baby alive.

I sigh and connect our hands, holding them in the air. The crowds roar. Someone throws a Rose at me and I catch it, holding it up with my other hand. I give a little smile with it as well. "I'll pull your cape off, if you pull mine." Peeta offers. I nod and we reach a stop. We pull each other's cape off and throw it off the chariot. President Snow calms everyone down and starts speaking,

"Welcome!" He starts, "Welcome. Welcome tributes. We salute your bravery and your sacrifice. Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor!" The crowds roar of delight and I look to Peeta with a sad look. He nods and our chariot pulls inside.

The horses stop and we get off. "That was amazing." Cinna smiles. "We will be the only thing everyone will be talking about." Effie chirps. "So brave." Haymitch rolls his eyes. "It's fake flame." I scoff. I look around at the tributes and gasp. Glimmer and Marvel. Clove and Cato. Prim's best friend Rue. I hit Peeta in the shoulder. "Ow, what!" He growls in pain at the physical contact.

I point to our friends. His eyes widen and Cato looks over. He has a deadly look in his eyes like the rest. The only normal one is Rue. These aren't our friends anymore.

These are blood thirsty animals.