Chapter 42

Chapter 42

~Katniss's POV~

Fear.

That's what is pumping into my adrenaline, that's what is lurking into my mind, that's what is consuming me this very moment.

The game makers have grown bored as no killings have happened in the past week or two. Arabella is now two weeks and Peeta and I struggle to keep her safe. Many traps have been unleashed in the arena. Extra trackerjackers, poisonous waters, nothing is safe. Everything is a risk now. All we have is sponsors to rely on.

"Stop pacing." Peeta comments to my freak out.

"The game makers announced a cornucopia which holds everything we need. There is five tributes in this arena including you and I. I can't loose you. The games will be over soon and one of us won't be with each other," I practically shout with tears caught in my throat. My nerves are a bundling mess right now, it's actually making my stomach physically ache.

"I'm going to go get some meat." I angrily wipe my tears fast enough for Peet not to respond. I grab a bow and bag of arrows before heading out from the cave. Quickly, I place the dead leaves and grass over the opening so no one would notice. Then, I start to run into the woods.

The trees sway in a dance of the wind, I'm captured by the comfort of the woods until a rustling from the bushes are heard. Out of instinct I bend down with an arrow ready in my bow. It seems as if a squirrel has a nut patch. The furry critter scurries up the bark of the tree and I follow his path. He stops and sticks his nose in the air, I take this chance to pull back the arrow. Sadly, he hears me and runs off.

I sigh in annoyance as the possible meal climbs away.

"Having some trouble there?" I hear a male voice. I whip back to come face to face with Marvel.

My heart hangs lowly in my chest as I see my old best friend. "Marvel." I unsteadily take a breath while placing a loose string of brown hair behind my ear.

"Katniss." He smirks deviously while starting to walk in circles with judging eyes on me. I gulp of nervousness.

"Well, you've surely grown." He says with a sickly sweet smile. I almost puke at the image from the brown haired boy. Yet, no sound is heard from my mouth at his compliment that was supposed to make me ache in hatred for him. It only made me ache in sadness for him though.

When I look into his eyes only hate and destruction shines through the once bright colored eyes turned cloudy and dark as pure night. It's as if he was demonized.

I know he hates me because of what I did to Glimmer though. He was her lover as vise versa, and I destroyed that. But she was after my family and I had to do what I had to do. He of course doesn't understand he's a psycho like his once girl.

It's a shame of a perfect person.

"Why so nervous?" He breaks my thoughts while stopping deadly close to my body. I grip onto my bow and sheath of arrows.

"Ah, ah, ah." He grabs ahold of my weapons and throws them down with his strength. I mumble profanities as an arrow grazes my olive colored skin on my hand. A dark red slash appears and he watches my pain in amusement. I try to shake it off as best as I can and I watch him dead in the eye with a hint of a glare.

I am about to lunge at him but he swiftly picks up my bow and an arrow before launching it. I ready myself for the impact but it never comes. Instead, a loud thump to the ground is heard and I see Marvel with a knife in his chest. Peeta stands there and I look for the arrow only to find the last person I wanted it to be hit with.

Rue.

I gasp loudly and run over to her small body. "R-Rue." I start to sob and she shakes her head. "No, don't cry. It's better if it was me. I don't have any one to go home to. I had an abusive family, mean sibling. They couldn't care less. You have a daughter and loving boyfriend. They are needing you right now Katniss." She softly smiles. I bite my lip so hard blood trickles onto my tongue but I ignore the salty taste.

"Can you," She starts. "Can you sing to me?"

I nod and sing what I was sung to sleep when I was a small child. Deep in the meadow. As I sing, my voice is rough as I watch her chocolate brown eyes start to close. I silently pray for her to stay. For her to live. But my hopes were broken as I hear her breathes suddenly quiet

I shake rapidly and my lip quickens while snot and tears mix together. I finish the song and lay my head on her chest, ignoring the drying blood. She was too young. Too pure.

She had more of a life waiting ahead then I did yet she still did it. She died think I no one cared for her even though I did. She saved me more then needed and when she needed saving I wasn't there for her. A pain is in my chest. As two canons are fired. I start to cry loudly and scream as emotions pour.

This has to stop.

These people that are innocent can not die like an animal on the side of the road. Rue was so much more then that. She deserves more then this. "Help me gather Rue flowers." I order Peeta as I rush to the small patches of unique flowers. I soon find the special bundle of Rue flowers and pick practically every one with Peeta who helps. We start to set it around her body. I put her hands together and set the banquet of Katniss roots in her hands.

Planting a kiss on her forehead, a last single tear from me falls on to her as I stand. "Goodbye." I bid as Peeta does the same.

Then the most rebellious way to end it off, I whistle he mocking jay tune and put here fingers to my lips then into the blue sky for the girl. Arabella makes a baby sound while this happens. As if she is whistling with us.

I honestly hope this tares President Snow's image.

He deserves it.

He deserves every ounce of hate from my bones.

A/N: the end is near my loves! But don't get sad, a sequel will be released as you remember my promise. I'm excited :)