Chapter 40

Chapter 40

~Katniss's POV~

I wake up with a pounding headache and my vision seems drunken even though I'm not. Memories of last night flash and I gasp of horror. I see myself in the cave and Peeta is cradling Arabella while giving her small drinks from the bottles of breast milk I made.

Thank God for sponsors.

"P-Peeta, are they...dead?" I stutter and he turns around, to see I'm awake.

Tears blur my vision and I try to get the thought of my two long time best friends are dead. Gale and My family are extremely close along with Madge's. All three of us would play together on the playground and such. Now all I have is memories of their imprints on the world.

I can imagine Madge's father, The Mayor, holding a town funeral with his wife mourning for her only daughter. The worst part is she killed herself because of love. What her and Gale had was beautiful.

But deadly.

"I'm so sorry Kat." He whispers and I shake from the racking sobs. He holds onto me tightly with his chin on the top of my head and his arm rubbing on mine.

I take my face out from Peeta's chest to look into Arabella's eyes. Her large ocean blue eyes.

I plant a kiss on her cheek and hug her while cradling the small yet chubby form of my baby girl. I haven't lost her, and I refuse to let her go. Dandelion might not be here but she's watching her baby sister. I just know it.

I also know that Gale and Madge will take care of my baby for me. They'll raise her gratefully.

"I miss them already." I mumble. By now, Madge would've cracked a dumb joke and Gale hunch over laughing.

The couple lighten up the mood when it was dark.

Who knew that when Madge grew up she'd actually kill herself for her lover. The gorgeous, rich, kind, intelligent and quiet girl that would sit in the back of the classroom named, Madge Lana Undersea, would be gone at age 19. It's terrible and I'm disgusted with President Snow. I can sense he had something to do with this.

Well it's President Snow, how can he not have something or some part in this?

"Watch Arabella, I'll collect some eatable plants." Peeta kisses me softly and I grab his hand before he takes off,

"Please be careful." I beg and he nods with a encouraging smile. I cradle Arabella in my arms as she falls asleep. Thank God she's a quiet one.

I am her mother, must've got it from me.

Two canons suddenly go off and my stress gets to me. What if that was Peeta? Oh my god. I have to stay down here though. He promised he would be careful. Please be not Peeta.

I honestly have no idea what I'd do if it was Peeta. Would I even be able to continue in the games in that kind of state and raise Arabella? How old will she even be by the time we get out?

Snow is probably getting impatient of how these games are dragging on and eliminating tributes to speed it up. The thought disgusts me completely.

My thoughts float away as I hear footsteps. I instantly crouch down and make sure the leaves are covering the large hole that connects to the cave.

"I heard Madge and Gale from district 12 died last night." I hear a laugh.

"Is Peeta and Preggo still alive?" Another voice asks.

"Yeah, Preggo finally popped."

"Too bad that baby won't last long like her parents." The group of tributes, or alliance, snickers and continues on.

When they leave, a pair of footsteps stops by the secret cave entrance and roughly takes away the leaves then slides down. Peeta. He doesn't have any plants in his hand, only blood on his face. I gasp and set Arabella on a blanket then go up to Peeta, sitting him down to eye his wounds.

"What happened?" I worried ask.

"Cato and them found me. Marvel is dead, I-I killed him. Cato punched me but I kicked him and ran fast enough to get away from their view." He confesses.

I sigh, "I'll get some fresh water."

I go up from the cave, collect fresh water in a water bottle and a rag. Then I go back done to Peeta and aid his wounds. He winces in pain and I hug him supportively. I wish I was there to help him in that situation. I'm so glad he made it out not completely injured, just a bit bloody. He is tough though, he can handle this.

I wrap the rags around his hands and such until he's fully okay.

"You need to rest, I'll keep watch." I demand softly but still sternly.

I can tell he wants to object but he is too tired to and instead, kisses my forehead then rolls over.

Guess I'm alone.