Chapter 13

Chapter 13

-Katniss's POV-

I went to the store to get a pack of cigarettes. I go outside the house and smoke. It feels good, it's like all the pain and stress is faded away like the smoke.

I don't care if the group or Peeta finds me smoking outside. I don't care about anything anymore. My innocent baby is dead and it's all my fault. I will never forgive myself for that.

Glimmer comes skipping out and sees me leaning against the tree smoking. She gasps and smacks the cigarette out of my hand. "Hey!" I gasp.

"Katniss!" She scolds. I roll my eyes and take another cigarette out of the box and light it. I pop it in my mouth.

"I'm hoping it's a metaphor that you put the killing thing between your teeth but you don't give it the power to kill you." She quotes Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars.

I shake my head and take the cigarette out of my mouth, twirling it between my fingers. "It's not a metaphor and I actually lite it. Hopefully it does have the power." I spat and puff smoke in her face.

"Just wait till Peeta hears about this!" She yells over her shoulder going back inside.

After a minute or two Peeta runs outside and sees me. "Katniss put down the cigarette now!" He angrily says.

"It keeps all the pain away." I scream back and puff out smoke.

"Why are you doing this?" He asks gently, tears in his eyes.

"My innocent baby is dead because of me!" I cry out.

"You didn't have anything to do with it. I know you would stop it if you could." He argues and takes the cigarette out of my hand.

"How many people will take my smokes?" I yell, angry.

He just shakes his head ashamed.

I cry and slide down the tree.

I'm disgusted by myself.

He picks me up and runs inside to our bedroom. He sets me on the bed and kisses my forehead, leaving me to sleep.

-Peeta's POV-

"Peeta have you been smoking?" Johanna asks with an arched eyebrow.

I shake my head. "I wasn't the one smoking." I sigh.

"Who was?" Annie asks, curious.

"Katniss, she says it keeps the pain away." I say ashamed of her.

Annie gasps, Johanna just looks surprised and Finnick since he is like a big brother to Katniss, he shakes his head and looks down. Tears in his eyes.

"Oh Katniss..." Finnick whispers.

"Everyone please keep an eye on her and don't let her do anything. She's in a depressed mood, I have no idea what she will try to do." I calmly beg the group.

They nod.

Don't do anything stupid Katniss, I silently pray to my beloved.