Chapter 48: Traitor

THUD!

I snap my eyes open, adrenaline pumps through my bloodstream as I push myself up and onto my feet, gripping the short sword and shield to my left. Zac was already up whispering commands to the year eight students and for a second I had forgot where I was and what was happening. Yesterday's events come rushing back, teasing my emotions and causing my chest to ache. I have no time for that bullshit. 

Strapping the shield extra tight, I stand at the entrance of the door with my sword ready in my grip; my palms are noticeably sweaty against the leather grip. Nerves? Definitely. Nervousness is what gives a person an edge, that edge is what keeps the person alive. The fight or flight response. Only this time I'm backed into a corner with not only myself to protect, yet a bunch of brats too.

Brent wheels himself the furthest away, in a corner where he won't be the first target. Scarlet slips next to me with a longsword engulfed in flames, his powers infusing the blade. We wait. Seconds roll by with each alternating thud before they suddenly stop. I glance unsure at my peer before three sharp knocks stop my thought process.

"Olivia?"

I pause recognizing the nasally voice, somewhat catching me off-guard. I remain quiet as I lower my guard, still trying to understand why he would be here. A coward, lowlife envy demon working for my mother. Surely not. He's the type to run away from danger, if he sees anything going wrong he'd vanish like a sloth demon. 

 "Olivia? It's me. Mr Weasleton. Your mother sent me to rescue you, rest assured Princess. You are safe now."

His muffled voice sends shivers down my spine as I mull over what he says. Firstly, mother wouldn't send anyone; as she put it I'm not her daughter, hence not her responsibility. Secondly, even if she did send someone it'd be a part of her guard, not a scoundrel. Third, my father hasn't sent anyone yet, so how would my mother have know? Especially since if my father had sent an army, we'd have heard about it a long time ago.

"Olivia? I've checked the whole school... I know you're in there."

I pause and think. He'd have been dead if he went around the school. No way he'd be able to defend himself against those... fiends. Unless he is with others, which in that case would be who? He never mentioned being with others, plus it doesn't sound like there are others since there was no sound of battle behind the doors. Just the thuds and then his voice. There would have been struggle, no doubt.

"Princess we are running out of time, we need to escort you to safety immediately."

I look at Zac and shake my head and he seems to understand. However a kid doesn't. Some blonde haired, dull faced moron exclaims, "She's in here sir! Save us, please!"

I turn around and slam my fist into his cheek, the child collapses onto the floor knocked out cold as the other students gasp. I don't have time for this, "Drag him to Brent and raise your weapons. Don't hesitate to harm those who come through that door."

The thudding begins again, this time louder and more powerful. The fucking brat gave us away, sure I didn't have to knock him out but quite frankly I seriously don't give a shit. One punch is better than twenty plus lives. The door splinters and I see it; the monstrosity on the other end determined to kill us. Or capture us.

"Olivia, Olivia," Mr Weasleton tuts and moves into my line of sight. "You should have just come on out. Hey, I'll give you a chance, I'm feeling rather generous after all. You and your little army come with us to the Atrium and we won't kill you guys. Yet."

I notice three other of them monsters behind him, waiting. Silent. I close my eyes and let out a sigh, "Fine. We will come with you."

"Then drop your weapons," he says with a smile. "I'm not stupid, Princess."

I begrudgingly do so, loathing his condescending tone. I drop the sword and take off my shield, the items clattering on the ground. Glaring, I go to open the door, the fiend's stench washing over me like a thick, putrid wave. Trying to keep my composure I remove the locks in place and allow the door to swing open.

The kids fall in line behind me, some whimpering and others holding each other. Zac wheels Brent behind the crowd, even the kid with a large welt on his face looks ashamed and sheepish. Good, he should know not to undermine his future Empress.

"Your cooperation is much-"

I right hook Mr Weasleton in the jaw, causing the scrawny skeleton to stagger backwards into the wall. The four monsters don't react, surprisingly staying still without a care. He spits out a tooth, releasing a whiny groan that makes my teeth itch before straightening, "Do you have any idea what you're doing, bitch?!"

"Yes," I nod. "Fighting against the enemy."

"I thought we agr-"

"We will come with you to the Atrium," I say stoically. "However don't you dare think I will behave. You are the filthy vermin that run in the sewers, nothing more than a sickly rat who spreads disease and death everywhere. You know what happens to rats, Weasleton?"

He gulps and pales slightly.

"They get exterminated."

His face screws up and flushes red, a look of outrage twists his pointed, angular features causing deep fissures within his complexion from the somewhat prominent folds. "You dare threaten me when I could kill you now?"

"No, I promise you I will," I reply smoothly. "You won't kill me, you obviously want me for something and I am most curious about what that is."

He lets out a curse before commanding the four creatures to kill whoever attempts to run. Almost proudly, he steps in front of me and begins to escort us to the atrium, his chin raised and his strides shaky but long. A frightened rat I see.

"So," I begin. "Explain to me, Weasleton, why you chose to become a traitor to the Empire?"

He sputters for a second, obviously not expecting such a question before shaking his head, "You wouldn't understand."

"Then explain," I say. "Or are you truly a cowardly little rat?"

He grumbles beneath his breath, "Your mother is a bitch."

"I am aware."

He chucks a glare over his shoulder before mumbling words, "She never cared for me. Always used me as a slave with the facade of saving me. You see, I've always been somewhat physically weak. However that never quenched my dream to serve Envy. Only, she used that to her advantage and treated me like shit."

"That seriously can't be you entire reasoning," I chuckle. "Envy is a wicked being, her toxic nature could wipe out a continent yet you don't see me become a traitorous fool, do you?"

"This Empire... needs redemption," he whispers this part and I can't help but feel chills run down my spine. "Our Empire is flawed, so many problems come with it and we need a fresh start. A new queen, one of all sin and not a fallen angel. One that will empathize with all instead of thinking they are better than us. A true demon."

"So you want to give our Empire to Adreanna?"

"Don't you say her name half-blood!" he snaps, spittle flying from his lips. "She is the ultimate ruler, one who will bring peace to us and have us flourish, take the human world for our own and defeat Heaven!"

"Fuck off," I chortle. "Your plan is ridiculous."

"My plan is larger than your puny, worthless life," he sneers. "I may be a traitor to Envy, however I will always be loyal to the Empire."