Chapter 1: He Smiles Like A Cheshire Cat

Sin...

Such a delicious thing. The bad, cruel, evil actions or intentions one can take to being a, well, sinful person. Everyone sins. Even God himself can't help but give into a little sinning sometimes. After all, what fun is life if there isn't a little trouble? What is the point in existing if there isn't at least some drama? The only way there is drama is if there is sin, and when there is sin, there are demons.

Blasphemy High, the boarding school for demons, located in the human realm in southern England, South Yorkshire. The 'inspirational' mansion where young demons come to learn the ways of hell, train to be a fully fledged demon before rejoining our society in the underworld, underneath the complete reign of the Devil, the emperor of Hell- not the king. That's a common misconception. There are seven kingdoms in hell since there are seven sins: vanity, wrath, sloth, gluttony, lust, greed and of course, envy. Each individual kingdom has a rightful king or queen; the original sin demons.

You see, there isn't just one type of demon. There are seven due to the different sins. Depending on which sin you are, you have different 'characteristics' when you turn sixteen. Lust demons for example are naturally blue skinned and can shape shift into a someone's deepest, dirtiest desires. Greed demons have forked tongues and can manipulate the cold elements, typically wielding ice. Envy demons, such as myself, have elliptical pupils and are immune to poison which is fitting since we tend to be toxic in nature.

My name is Olivia Green, I'm the only child of Envy herself and I'm the biggest bitch in Blasphemy High. Boys want me, girls want to be me and nobody gets what they want. I thrive in jealousy, it's addictive. Hence why envy demons are typically beautiful. I inherited my mother's looks: pale skin, black, straight hair and green eyes.

As I walk down the hall I can't help but smile at the cute boy walking past me, a greed demon who assumes he's got a chance. You can tell from the hungry look in his eyes; avarice demons want things more than most. Hence why they're the most fun to play with. He wears greed's yellow tie underneath a black vest jumper, his long shirt sleeves are rolled up his slim arms and tucked into his black tailored trousers, finished with a belt and smart shoes. He indicates to step to the side to talk, thinking from his stature that he can waste my valuable time and let him have a chance with me.

I brush past him.

How boring. I'm wearing a short, pleated black skirt, tights with my shirt tucked in. My light blazer is on and unbuttoned, green tie perfectly done along with a pair of smart but elegant shoes adorning my feet. I'm not trashy, far from it actually. People often get jealous of those who are richer and have better quality things, thankfully being the child of Envy herself I get those things on a whim. I'm not shy about showing off, in fact it's actually fun. Feeling the addicting sin in the air like a green, sensual drug empowers me. Makes me stronger and bolder, more myself if anything.

I make it to my locker, dialling my number before clicking it shut, admiring my perfectly manicured nails, painted a pinky nude to match any outfit. Although I have to by law wear green, there are so many different shades to choose from for different occasions.

You'd think that due to our unique characteristics that we wouldn't need to wear our sin's signature colour, but you're wrong. Gluttony, the apothecaries of the underworld formulate potions and provide food; to go to the human realm and interact with humans, it's certainly difficult to do so when adorning a pair of wings if you're vanity. Therefore they produce disguising potions to hide these things, hence making it difficult for other demons to identify the other's sin. I take out my class' books and equipment I require before closing my locker door shut.

Suddenly, a strong, mouthwatering aroma of sweet apples and cinnamon waft through my noise; I breath it in lovingly. Jealousy. That can only mean one thing. I swivel on my heel and look down at the short, plump, gluttony demon with shoulder length brown hair, deep brown eyes and flushed cheeks.