Chapter 40: Slut

"Miss Green, concentrate please," Mr Jefferson calls, his short stature and slender figure lending itself to flying. His wings are closed on his back this Friday morning, white suit seemingly stylish but bright, black hair combed and almond eyes focused. He is Divine Academy's flight instructor, the best in his field apparently. His year eleven students are doing the obstacle course whilst I am doing a beginners lesson in front of them.

I huff and focus on my wings, trying to figure out how to bat them in time and in sync; it's trickier than it sounds, especially since they're new. How can the future Empress of Hell not fly? Half angel and half demon, what a joke. I bat once, twice and then falter. My feet touching the ground with a thud. I hear laughter from some angels and feel a bubbling fury in my chest. Samson flutters next to me and gives a clawed thumbs up before swooping to my feet.

"Miss Green, getting frustrated will not help your position.

"Mr Jefferson," I say in the same condescending tone. "Telling me to calm down will not get me to calm down."

He looks unimpressed, probably not used to the backchat; he's got another thing coming. I'm probably going to ruin his perfect flight streak, especially since I can't concentrate in such a loud environment.

"Right," Mr Jefferson says with a deep sigh. "You need to ignore those students. They have had years of training. Angels are born with wings, however due to your... other parent it's caused your wing-"

"'Other parent'," I repeat, feeling an overwhelming protectiveness of my kind surface. Despite my mother's negligence, she is still my mother and is still a demon. "What are you trying to indicate, Mr Jefferson?" 

Samson cocks his head to the side and talons on his head, raising an unimpressed brow.

"Your mother's specie."

"Which is?" I press, narrowing my sharp, elliptical gaze on his figure. I feel a pressure forming, a deep anger bubbling to the surface as he pauses, searching for his words. "Which is?"

"A demon."

The imp claps sarcastically, letting out a hoot, "Honestly fantastic."

"Now why didn't you say that before?" I reprimand. "Why couldn't you just say demon?"

He releases a sigh and rolls his eyes, "Getting angry at me will not help your position, Miss Green."

"And making me angry at you won't help your situation, Mr Jefferson." 

He closes his eyes and furrows his brows before saying carefully, "All I was trying to say that due to your mother being a demon, your wings didn't arrive until now. Every student here was born with them and have been flying since a very young age."

I let out a sigh and try to fly again, getting a little bit higher than before, Samson following me, only for me to drop onto the ground. Again.

"It'll take practice," he continues. "You might not be used to putting in a lot of effort, however-"

"Okay, what the actual fuck," I scoff. "Are you fucking serious? Is it because I'm half demon? It is because we're the 'bad guys'? What is your actual fucki-"

"Olivia," Ashton says, touching down quietly next to me and putting his hand on my shoulder and a slight shiver resonates from the spot. "It's okay Sir, I think Olivia would prefer me to help her today."

Mr Jefferson tired sighs and flutters off and up, joining the class and shouting out instructions to complicate their sequences.

"What a cock," my imp friend says with a hiss. "Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he's lonely."