47: Breaking Him

Question: have you ever gotten your heart broken? How did you get over it? But most importantly, how bad did it hurt?

Answer: the only thing that has ever broken my heart is unrequited love. Nothing else.

Chapter 46 - Breaking Him

Oliver

"Your parents are getting divorced?" I asked again, utterly terrified by this realisation.

"That's exactly what I just said. Are you daft?" He spat at me, his facial features contorting into discontent and disgust.

Frowning, I took another faltering step backwards.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "I shouldn't have told you about my parents getting divorced," he finished.

Here I was thinking he was about to apologise for his choice of words, turns out, he was apologising about telling me about his parents' divorce like it was something so huge my feeble mind couldn't comprehend. I wasn't at all pleased by his choice of words, however, I couldn't get pissed by it. That was the last way I was going to react, given the severity of the situation.

"Mason, please calm down and talk to me," I pleaded with everything in me, everything I had, especially with my eyes. He didn't care to look directly at me, anyway.

"Just leave, Olly," he swung his hands out, motioning to the door. "Just leave like everyone else is. Just leave like my father is about to."

"No," I refused sternly, shaking my head from side to side.

"Leave!" He yelled.

"Mm-hm," I hummed, biting down on my bottom lip while tears welled in my eyes. I'd been crying a lot these past few days, I was tired of it, and I thought I was done with it until I saw Mason.

He looked broken and absolutely betrayed by the people closest to him. By the people he held so close to his heart. It hurt to think that I was one of those people.

"Get out, Oliver! Just get out!" He rushed to me and shoved me backwards but I refused to leave.

At first, I was scared he was going to hit me or push me to the ground, but then I realised this was Mason. He wouldn't hit me for the world. Even if he decided to, it was justified. At least to me it was. To me, he had all the reasons in the world to lay his hands on me, but it seemed to never even cross his mind.

Staggering back and almost losing my footing, I stood my ground once again.

"I'm not leaving here, Mason. Unless you're ready to throw me out," I quavered, tightening my jaw to reinforce and harden the look on my face.

"Fine then, you can stay. I'm not throwing you out if that's what you're looking for. I'll just keep quiet because I know eventually you'll leave... just like everyone else," he ranted and pulled off his shirt in one swing.