02: Alex SpongeBob

Picture of Khalid Obé :-)

Chapter 2 - Alex SpongeBob

Oliver

Stepping out of the lift, it occurred to me that I had no idea where the common area was. The building was massive and the architecture was crazy amazing... and confusing. Different places looked exactly the same, I was struggling.

From what my dad told me about the dorm; it had a total of fifty five flats and five stories. Ten rooms on each storey with only five on the fifth storey. My flat, which was now my condo, was on the fourth storey.

Taking my phone out of my pocket, it was 7pm already. I decided to keep myself busy with it as I looked around for the common area. I took 3 turns but every hallway looked exactly like the previous one, getting a little serious now and putting my phone away I took another turn.

I sincerely felt like I was in a labyrinth, trying so very hard to find myself like an introspective monk.

At the brink of giving up and heading back to the elevator— at least I knew how to find it— a large blue door swung open.

Saved, at last.

It was husband roommate laughing while exiting the room, he stopped when he saw me.

"I was just coming to get you," he said motioning to me with his right hand, walking closer. "I assumed you might have trouble finding the common area. The doors are usually left open but there are very few people around, so I guess that's why we were told to keep them closed," he explained.

He'd reached where I stood now. Holding out his hand, he greeted, "I'm Khalid, Khalid Obé. I'm sure you don't need my last name, it's totally unnecessary."

Hah! I knew he was Arabian.

He had those really adorable Arabian eyes and beautifully designed jawline, maybe I'm the only one who notices that.

Looking at his hand I took the handshake.

"I'm Oliver, Olly for short if you wish, the full thing is a little stressful to pronounce," I said with a shrug, shaking as firmly as possible.

I was trying to avoid letting awkward weirdness seep into the handshake. I released my grip on his hand but then he did not let go.

Yikes, hello awkward weirdness.

"Olly, great," he replied, still smiling. Letting go of my hand after noticing how tense I got.

"I see you didn't tell me your last name." He scratched the back of his head, feeling a bit shy about being too formal.

Well unless he wants to know if I have any criminal records— which I don't— I did not see the need to tell him my last name.

"Well let's go inside." He said, turning and motioning for me to follow which I did while putting my phone back into my pocket.