46: From Grey to Turquoise

Question: Do you consider yourself as a person who gives others second chances?

Answer: actually, I do. I've made a few mistakes in life myself, and if my friends cut me off without giving me a second chance, I wouldn't have been able to change or prove that I actually have learnt my lesson. By the way, we're all human.

Chapter 45 - From Grey to Turquoise

Oliver

Khalid spent the next half hour explaining everything to my speechless self. Most of the things he'd said to me really surprised me, while the rest almost threw me off my feet. He'd told me about how he'd actually been just as sad and depressed as I was these past few weeks, how unsure he was about coming to me with his true feelings. To my utmost surprise, he thought I was just a one timer-- a player. 

He'd told me how much he disliked Kevin because he thought we were having something together. The last thing he said made my breath hitch and the forced look of disgust on my face to fall. He'd told me about how much he couldn't stop thinking about that blonde dude-- AKA Mason-- and I. 

First, he revisited the day I thought he saw us kissing-- turns out, he actually did see us kissing. He'd told me about how he clearly saw us kissing, and the way I leant into the kiss. How he'd decided to pay no attention to it but then, weeks later, I kissed him. A few days after that, I was holding Mason's hand down the hallway, again.

Khalid bared himself to me, bringing down all of his defences and rendering himself completely vulnerable by telling me how terrified he was of another heartbreak. His first boy heartbreak. 

Recalling how everything had played out, I realised that, to an extent, I was actually the cause of this. Everything was my fault. Not only had I led Mason on, I'd misled and confused Khalid, hence bringing us all to this point. 

I kept quiet and listened to every word he had to say. Even when I wanted to run around and scream with my head in my hands, I remained quiet. 

We were currently sitting on my bed now. He'd unloaded all of that on me and I needed some time to process those combinations of words. He gave me all the time I needed, but he didn't walk away. This time, Khalid stayed in my room with me. 

"So, you're saying you thought Kevin and I were doing something?" I finally brought myself to mumble an unintelligent question.

"Not... doing something," he corrected with a weak smile and a sigh. "I just thought you guys were, like, an agenda from the way you communicated, and I felt jealous. Also angry that you had the audacity to bring him here and show off." 

"I don't have that kind of audacity--" I rushed to defend myself but he cut me off.

"No, no. No need. You were not the problem, I was. Actually, my insecurities were." He held out his hand and almost touched me, but stopped himself.