34: Needing Him

Question: which animal would you refer to as your spirit animal?

Answer: I'd say a bear? Because I can work/study ceaselessly for so long then hibernate for the rest of the month/week. What about you?

Chapter 34 - Needing Him

Oliver

He answered on the first ring. Ruffling sounds were audible from the other end. I assumed he was trying to get in the best position but didn't want to take too long to answer my call.

"Oh hello Olly, you called me. That's a big surprise. What's up? What's happening over there?" He said all at once, notifying me of his presence.

I sniffled while wiping my eyes and nose the same time, I looked like a mess, I felt like a mess. I needed someone to hold me and stop me from feeling like complete dross. 

"He-hello Mason, I'm sorry I don't call often," I quavered, my voice shaky and failing me completely, giving away all the sadness I felt. "And I'm sorry I'm calling you at a time like this I just—" my speech was punctuated by a handful of sobs and loud cries. 

Mason cut me short before I could display any more sadness through the phone.

"Hold on a minute, Olly? Are you crying?" He asked hastily, his voice deepening with concern.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry that the first time I'm calling you in a really long time I sound like a charity case," I cried uncontrollably. He had already figured out that I was crying so trying to stop myself wasn't useful anymore. I just let loose.

"What's the matter? Did something happen? I'm coming over right now," he concluded, desisting from asking anymore questions and coming to see for himself.

This was one of the reasons I chose to call Mason; I knew he would come get me. I didn't try to protest, I didn't try to dissuade him from coming. I just continued crying and managed to utter a simple hum, signalling that I heard what he'd said. 

"Where's Jess? Is she with you? Is she even around?" Although he had already decided to come see for himself, his curiosity still got the best of him and he kept throwing questions that I had no answers to.

"I-I… she," I stuttered through sobs. Lumps blocking my throat and making it a tad bit difficult to breathe.

"Ugh, I'm sorry about my unending stream of questions," he groaned. "I'm already in my car, I'll be with you in a minute." With that he hung up.

He chose to talk less on the phone so he could arrive faster and I was glad that he did. I was tired of talking, tired of using my voice. I just wanted someone to offer physical emotional support to me. 

Mason arrived in less than ten minutes. Despite all his trials to get me to speak up I refused to. He eventually gave up on sitting on the issue, respecting my decisions, but he never left.