36: Tamaki Amajiki - Mirio's Friend

Start from the beginning

This was a concern I had voiced to my closest girlfriend, Kanzaki, to which she just giggled. "What?" I asked her.

"Sounds like you have a little bit of a crush on Amajiki," she teased, poking my arm.

"Pfft, he's one of my best friends Kanzaki," I said, blushing a little.

"Doesn't mean it can't be true," she laughed.

"I-I- I don't know," I mumbled. "Can we change the subject?"

"Fine, but you're always the one that wants to talk about him," she winked at me causing me to blush even more. I shook my head, ridding myself of the thoughts about the indigo haired male.

- Timeskip -

We were in second year of middle school, and were currently out in the sports field, working on our quirks. Our teacher made us stand up in front of the class and display a demonstration of our quirks and how we were getting on with developing them. I thought it was a little unfair to have to do such an exercise in front of the entire class, but our teacher wasn't the nicest person so it didn't surprise me all too much.

"Amajiki, you're up," he said, pointing at him and I noticed he tensed up as he was standing beside me. He kept his head down as he walked to the front of the class. I could almost feel his nervousness, but I glanced over at Mirio who seemed confident in Amajiki.

Amajiki held out his hand, concentrated hard but could only produce a small sprout on the back of his hand. "Amajiki you should be able to do more with your quirk by now," our teacher said and I scowled at him. Amajiki dropped his head even lower as he trudged back through the class to his position next to me.

"Teacher was being a little unfair there Amajiki, plus, when was the last time you ate? Breakfast?" I asked and he nodded. "Turn that frown upside down Amajiki, I don't like seeing you sad," I added, nudging his arm. He looked down at me as he had certainly grown taller, and blushed, his eyes widening at my support. I sent him a smile and his cheeks flushed red even more.

Teacher announced it was Mirio's turn, and of course due to his difficult quirk, he managed to walk straight into the plank of wood that was set out for him. The class laughed and we looked to see just Mirio's hands through the wood, his head squished up against it. I giggled a little as Mirio pulled his hands back through. "C'mon you guys, it's really hard!" Mirio laughed also, and Amajiki's eyes widened even more. I knew he borderline idolised Mirio, and it seemed as though he wished he had his confidence, but I liked Amajiki the way he was... I liked him... I like him?

"(l/n)... (l/n)!" I snapped out of my daze and realised that I was staring up at Amajiki. I blushed and looked away as teacher called me to step out in front of the class. "Slice this piece of wood with your claws," he said and I nodded. My sharp claws came out of my nails, and I lifted my arms high, bringing it down to slice through the wood. Sharp pain came to my nails as I howled in pain, pulling my hand away from the only half chopped piece of wood.

"Ow ow ow!" I repeatedly said, trying not to cry from the pain or the humiliation of the class laughing at me. The tips of my finger started to bleed and I looked over to my friends, spotting Mirio and Kanzaki who looked on with concern. Teacher tutted under his breath, apparently not concerned with the fact my hand was almost dripping with blood.

I felt a pair of arms lift me up from the ground, taking ahold of my arms and walking me away from the class, ignoring teachers shouts. I looked up expecting to see Mirio but instead, to my surprise, I saw Amajiki. "A-Amajiki," I mumbled, acknowledging him.

"I-I just wanted to help you... it looks quite bad," he mumbled under his breath, loosening his grip on me and blushing bright red.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it," I smiled up at him, looking deep into his indigo eyes which were partly covered by his hair.