47: Rody Soul - The Flight Instructor

Warning! This oneshot contains HEAVY SPOILERS for My Hero Academia: World Heroes Mission. If you've not seen that film then I recommend you perhaps give this oneshot amiss, you've been warned about the spoilers so I can't be held accountable if you choose to read!

Note: That header melts my heart.

Quirk: Hydrokinesis

 It was going to be my tenth interview of the day and frankly, I was getting tired. I was a flight instructor, working for the main air base in Otheon. It was a large base split up into a variety of different sectors including imports and exports, militaristic and the sector I worked for: pilot training.

I had been an instructor for three years, becoming the youngest ever to join the base when I was merely seventeen. Now at twenty-one, I was a fully fledged member of the flight-school team and was currently looking for new recruits. I thankfully wasn't the only instructor though, the other two were two friends of mine, Karma Akabane and Gakushuu Asano. They were like rivals, constantly trying to one-up each other but they were secretly friends. The school only took on three students out of thirty every year, Karma, Asano and I having to interview ten each. We would then pick one from that ten, and we'd take them under our wing to teach them personally.

As I walked back to my office after taking a little break, I looked down at the application form in my hand. 'Rody Soul... that name seems familiar,' I thought as I read the sheet through one last time. I shook it off and entered my office, seeing who I assumed was Rody Soul sat on the interviewees seat, his mouth stuffed with biscuits from a plate that sat on my desk. I folded my arms and raised my eyebrow, him quickly swallowing and standing abruptly, wiping his mouth clean of the crumbs. "Rody Soul?" I asked and he nodded, surprising me by saluting.

"In the flesh," he said and I tried to hold back a chuckle as I headed towards my desk.

"Please take a seat," I said and he nodded, doing as was told. The more I looked at him the more he seemed familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I was a little surprised as well given the fact that all of our other applicants had worn immaculate suits in an effort to aid their chances, but Soul's outfit seemed a little... unkempt. He was dressed in a battered blue shirt, an old red and blue tie, rugged brown trousers with knee patches sewn onto them badly and a brown coat with torn seams, however it was decorated with a sweet knitted red flower. "So I've just been through your application form... I can see you've had no flight training in the past?" I said, our flight school usually only accepting those with some experience under their belt.

"Well I've flown a plane before," he said and I looked at him as though asking him to continue. "Er... it wasn't official or anything, I just needed to get my friends from A to B... we were kinda short on time," he said, rubbing the back of his head.

"Right..." I furrowed my eyebrows, unsure what he meant. "And I can see here you've noted your quirk as 'Pino', would you care to elaborate?" I asked.

"It's kinda embarrassing," he said.

"These are things we need to know I'm afraid, Mr Soul," I said and he chuckled.

"Rody's fine," he smirked. "You have to promise not to laugh... she's my quirk," he pointed to the top of his head and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Suddenly, from out of his brown hair popped a small pink bird with yellow and blue stripes on its wings. "This little bird is my quirk. She kinda reveals my inner feelings, no matter how hard I try to hide them. She's connected to my soul. I call her Pino."

My eyes widened, having never come across such a quirk. It made me smile, and I was pleasantly surprised when Pino flew over to me and landed on my hand, staring up at me and somehow blushing. "Pino!" Mr Soul exclaimed, reaching for her. "Sorry, she can be a bit mischievous," he said, rubbing the back of his head, the bird perching on his shoulder.