The Handsome Menace

Author's Note: Welcome back to your monthly scheduled program! This chapters fanart is brought to you by kotilae! His arts super good and anyone interested should check him out at https://kotilae.tumblr.com/! Without further ado here's the chapter!

Heavy footsteps echoed in the empty hallways. All rooms shut tight with dakners sleeping inside. All besides you and your "escort" of course. The Ace held both of your hands tightly behind your back. What a wonderful way for the King to let you know exactly how he was going to treat you... like a prisoner, forced to work otherwise be executed. All because of that damn fool...

The door in front of you gently opens, the gloved hand of the ace giving special care to not harm the inanimate object in any way. As the door moves past you the spade grabs your hands tighter. His free hand pushes against your back and tosses you into the room. You fall to the ground with a light thud as the door quickly closes behind you, with a nice audible locking sound.

You roll your eyes. Of course... You stand yourself up, dusting off the dirt and other debris that attached to you. You sigh, so this must be the new room he promised you. Your eyes travel across the space.

The walls and floor were both the same plain black that every room was this godforsaken place. A twin-sized bed was pushed to the side of the room and had a large blue canopy overhanging it. It looked rather like it was trying to imitate the lavish beds of the kings but it's clear that it was only pretending to have that level of comfort considering how small it was.

Were they trying to give you a false sense of importance with that?

Whatever... Across from the bed was a storage bin. Sticking straight out of it was a large battle axe. A small smirk fell on your face by seeing it. At least you'll have a weapon if you try to escape this place...

A small dresser sat directly beside it and it had a stack of books on top of it. You curiously step over to the pile of books picking up one off of the top of the pile. "Mew mew mystery...?" The front cover of the book had some human-looking character with cat ears and a tail with a large pink dress covering her mouth with her hands with a shocked look on her face. An outline was around what looked like to be a jar, implying that it was stolen.

Wasn't this style called like.... Anime or something? It's strange why they make the eyes on this character so hideously large. It makes it look kind of freaky. Your lips pressed together as you turn open the cover of the book and see the inside of it. All pages of this book were filled with pictures of these large-headed characters, hardly any words besides the dialogue.

Strangest of all was that there was multiple colorful, sticky notes poking out the pages of the book. You fill to one of them. On the note is cursive fancy writing which besides how the letters looked... it was extremely hard to read what was on the note. You could only make out the words "Ah!", "Truth" and "Solution".

You could sense the metaphorical question mark that appeared above your head. Someone had to put these notes in the book, they must have just forgotten to take them out before the book reached you. You close the novel and place it back down on the pile.

A table sat on the opposite side wall, with... a puzzle? On the back wall of the table, a very unfinished jigsaw puzzle stood. What... Why would this be here...? Were you supposed to solve it or something? You glance around the table and crouch down hoping to find the missing jigsaw pieces. But all that met your eyes was a... Jar of worms? The creatures wriggled around in a clear cage, clearly alive. Your forehead wrinkles... This is so much odder than that puzzle.

Maybe it was a mistake or something? Or was this a way for the King to intimidate you? Was he trying to imply that you're low enough that you sleep in the same place as the worms? That's the only theory that made any sense to you.