Diamond in the Rough

AN: :) Fanart done by @pj_blob at Instagram.

Early mornings around the castle tend to be peaceful. Most workers were just starting to wake up while the kings snored in their lavish quarters. A quiet pleasant morning is the perfect way to get ready for the daily grind.

Unfortunately, you were never awarded that pleasantry. You weren't sure if it was possible that someone else here could have nearly as many problems as you do. The door creaked as you shut it behind you. A heavy burden rested on your shoulders like the shiny helmet on your cranium.

Just staring into the hallway was enough to make you feel queasy. The castle is huge! Where would you even start? Could he be hiding in the throne room? Maybe the cafeteria? How were you supposed to guess when you've never met this weasel before!?

An anguished sigh flops out of your mouth. Maybe... you need some help. Asking the King of Spades where he could be was a death sentence for you. This was your first day and there is no way that he wouldn't be willing to punish you for this... You shudder, your shoulders cuddling into your neck as you imagine what that crazy Spade would do to you.

You shake your head. Yeah, no. You are not doing that. The only other darkner you could ask though... was the blue boisterous bastard... Rouxls Kaard. Your frown digs into the corners of your skin. You would go to the most fire-filled, tortuous part of hell before asking him for help. You could already hear his conceited response inside of your mind.

"Oh! Doth admidith that I, Rouxls Kaard, am the truest bestest babysitter? Youest must tellest me that if i am to help thou! Now speak it to me worm!"

You roll your eyes as a soft growl exits your clenched teeth. You don't think you would be able to stop yourself from punching the dust out of him if he uttered that garbage at you.

Welp, you have no options for help then. How splendid... At least he's just a toddler. They aren't necessarily known for their hide-and-seek skills. A faint smile plays on your lips. The memory of Frisk holding up their blanket as a hiding place when they were just a little kid flashes in your mind.

Yeah... maybe this will be easier than you thought. You look down the hallway, eyeing the staircase. The first floor seems like the best place to start. You place your foot on the first step and walk into the depths of the stairs.

Foot forward, step down. Foot forward, step down.

Walking down these stairs felt so different than before. Like the steps themselves didn't know who you were and we're treating you like a wandering stranger. No longer (Y/N)... now shall only be known as the new name the Spade King gave to you.

Vessel.

Maybe you should start thinking of yourself as such... Just so that you don't accidentally call yourself (Y/N).

"Gee Willikers! Have you ever seen this darkner around before?" A high-pitched screech pierces your ears. Your eyes guide themselves to the source of the noise. A small Rudinn stood on the other side of the staircase moving up the never-ending steps. Before you can react a large white paw slams down on the stair in front of you. Three long snake-like necks rise and tower over you. The three-headed cat Cerberus... Clover.

Your eyes go wide as the necks crane down to surround you.

"Hey~! A new face~"| "I WANT that helmet!"| "I-I'm sorry they are getting so close to you-"

These exact heads were the same ones that surrounded you only a couple of days ago... What Deja vu... You clench your teeth. It's just as horrible as you remember. You open your mouth. "Hey-"

A bead of sweat drips down your face as you quickly shut up. You have talked to them before... They know your voice. What if... they recognize your voice? Oh... If they found out that this vessel is you then everyone in the castle would know- and God knows what the King of Diamonds would do to you then.