(47.)

Jordan

It's game day today. Not really much to get excited about, but it's going to be quite a matchup. We've spent the entire week preparing for this game and it was finally here.

"Alright, listen up ladies." Coach Mark exclaims, standing in the center of the locker room. "Today is the first game of the season. Win or lose, I want you guys to go out there and play your best."

After that, he had us all huddle up and break down. Then we make our way out to the court. As I'm leaving the locker room, he catches up to me.

"You're starting today Lopez." He said.

I stopped walking as he jogged past me out of the tunnel. I could feel the nervousness arising in my stomach. I take a deep breath to push it all down and make my way out onto the court. The first thing I do is go over to where Derek is sitting.

"D!" I exclaim.

He stood up. "Hey, what's up?"

"D, coach Mark is starting me." I say.

"Really?" He asks and I nod. "Oh wow Jay, that's amazing."

"I'm nervous." I admit.

"Don't be. Come here." He holds his arms out to me and I hug him. "You're gonna be fine."

I nod into his chest and he kisses my forehead. He lets go and I head back over to the team bench.

*****

It was a hard fought game, but we pulled through for the win.

"Great job out there ladies!" Coach Mark clapped. "Let's keep it going."

Everyone else clapped.

"Before we all get ready to leave, I want to give the game ball to our player of the game." Coach exclaimed. "Lopez, you did a hell of a job tonight. Going 10 for 10 from the field, finding openings all night. I have a feeling you're going to make a great captain later on down the line."

I grin.

"This game ball is for you." He chest passes it to me.

I smile brightly when I catch the ball, hugging it to me while the rest of the team clapped. I had a pretty solid game. 25 points, 8 assists and 8 rebounds. Two more assists and rebounds, I would've had a triple double in my first ever College game. It's something that I definitely look forward to these next three years.

After he gives us a brief rundown of what next week is going to look like, everyone parts ways. I couldn't keep the smile off my face. I got the game ball. Me. A Freshman. Who probably wasn't even supposed to get any playing time. Yet, I got the start in general.

Ain't that a blessing?

Once I finish showering, and changing into something a lot more comfortable, I make my way out of the dome. There, I catch up to Derek. He was with his friends Sam and Damien. The last person I expected to see was Gelo...with his brother.

"Jordan!" Gelo exclaimed, walking up to me. He gave me a hug. "I missed you!"

"I missed you more Gelo." I chuckle.

We pull away. Right after we do, I hug Jaden.

"Did you really have to drop 25 on us like that though?" She joked.

"It's in my blood Owens." I laugh.

She laughed as well. I walk over to Derek, earning a kiss on the temple.

"You did amazing out there girl." He said. "I wish I had half the skill you do."

"I have no problem running a training session." I shrug, grinning.

I fist bump Sam and Damien, who both gave me praise for my performance. My eyes inadvertently travel over to Melo, who stood off to the side quietly with his hood on his head. I look over at Gelo but he shakes his head in a "I'll tell you later" way. I nod and shrug it off.

After what felt like an hour, but was actually five minutes, all of us were headed our own way. I really wanted to go home and get in that bed, but I also wanted to hang out with my boyfriend.

"Is there any way we can take the food back to you guys apartment?" I ask. I figure I'll just crash there.

"That's actually a great idea." Damien agrees. "We could order pizza instead of stopping somewhere."

"Even better." I grin.

We're soon walking into their building and into their apartment.

*****

Gelo 💪🏀
He wasn't going to let me go unless I bought him along
I really wanted to see you and Jaden play but his dumbass was holding me back from it
I'm sorry Jay
10:55PM

My thumbs hover over the keyboard. I don't know what to say. Do I say it's okay? I've been letting a lot of shit slide as of late though.

Before I can even type what I want to, I'm wrapped into a bear hug by Derek and smothered in kisses. I scrunch up my face as he kisses all over it.

"I'm...so...freaking...proud...of....you...!!" He exclaims in between kisses, making me shy away when he leaves one on my neck. "My girl is a super star!"

I sigh in content, locking my phone. "Yeah, I guess."

"You don't sound so sure." He says, hugging me close to him. "I sense discomfort."

I relax in his arms. "I'm okay."

He uses his right hand to turn my face in his direction. So I'm leaning against him with my back pressed to his torso, my head turned over my right shoulder and slightly tilted so I'm looking up at him. I wish there was a simpler way to describe our current position, so I'm gonna go all Black Love on y'all. Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps in Love & Basketball when they were on the Quad. That position.

He connects his lips to mine, rubbing his thumb along my chin. "What's the matter?"

I just look up at him, before answering. "You saw him there."

He sighs and nods. "Yeah."

"Were you uncomfortable?" I ask.

"A little bit, yeah." He shrugged. "But I know your heart belongs to me, so I wasn't worried in the slightest."

"It's just...becoming an obvious thing now." I pout.

"Yeah it is." He said. "He wants you back, but he can't have you."

I turn around, wrapping my arms around his neck. He lays back onto his bed as I straddle his waist. I connect my lips to his, listening to him grunt into my mouth. I pull away shortly after, my palms at the sides of his head. He looks up at me, chewing on his lower lip and rubbing up and down my torso.

"Promise me it's just us Derek." I say.

"It's just us baby girl." He nods. "Just us."

I give a small smile, leaning in to kiss him again. I wrap my arms around his neck securely, falling onto my side and just holding him.

I know it's a little too early to start making promises because we're still in the honeymoon phase, but I just know our relationship is going to be put to the test. Like will he run away when things get hard?

I just need genuine reassurance right now.