Chap 40. Thank you

' I know who you are. ' Though Lucas said it fast and blurry, Alan could hear it perfectly well. 

  ' Alan. Or should I call you Michael now. ' 

  The boys were not facing each other. Standing on the football stands and stare down on the large piece of football field. If you were reading closely, this was the place where they share their first kiss. 

  But.... would it also be the place where they end what they have now?

  ' Say it. ' Alan whispers. He act out as if he was calm and okay about everything but instead, he was anywhere near it. 

  ' No. You tell me first. Every time, I was the one who opens up first. It's your time now. ' Lucas push the problem towards Alan. The boy fidgets uncomfortably and rub his hand together, it's a clear sign of nervousness. 

  ' What do you want to know? ' He manages out. 

  ' Don't ask me that! You know what I want to hear! ' Lucas snaps, tired of how Alan always tries to push the topic away from him. No more fucking lies. Life's hard enough. 

  Alan sighs. ' Look. I know you're pissed. I know you're mad. I'm not happy with what I'm doing now. It's not right, I know that. But I was hopeless at that time. ' 

  ' I suffered from loneliness when I was young, my parents were always working overseas and leaving my alone at the house. Sure, I got to study, got food and shelter. But... I didn't know how or what kinds of friends I should have. ' 

  ' I desperately needed people beside me. Those feeling of abandonment from my parents..... I could't take it. So I used to buy friends. There were a couple of boys back in those days that befriended with me just because I have money. They never really care about me and I was fully aware of that. ' 

   Lucas heart seize up. 

  ' Then when I was in seventh grade, I met a friend. He wasn't like one of those 'friends'. He cares for me and we use to stuck together playing and hanging out. ' Alan smiles suddenly, thinking back to those wonderful days. 

  ' Then one day, he left. Without a trace. No note. No sign. His family car gone. Everything.... is gone, leaving me. I was beyond devastated. The only friend I got. Two years later, I saw him getting beat by some guys in the alley. ' 

  ' Of course, I ran towards him. But who was I back then? Nothing but a twig. Those guys round us up and kidnapped us back to what we call a base now. They left us with a guy name Owen. From there, I started to know what happened. ' 

  Lucas doesn't like how this is going. 

  ' That friend I had a serious financial problem because his brother started to gamble and eventually lost a hell lot of money. His family had to sell their house, their lovely car and literally all their possessions. But it wasn't enough. ' 

  ' They didn't borrow the money from the loan sharks. No.... they borrowed it from a fucking gang. I don't know what was wrong with their mind to doing such a thing. Anyway, Owen told me that I can either walk away and pretend nothing happened or ..... I could help him pay up. ' 

  Alan smirks. ' Money was never a problem back then to me. At least... that's what I thought. The number..... scared me so much I couldn't sleep at night. A hundred million. I'll be damned if I could even help him with that. '  

  Lucas gasp when Alan growls out angrily. 

  ' That's when the guy gave me a third option. Replace my friend and join them. '