Chap 13. You are who you are

Lucas stares at the text on the screen, his lips twisting into a gleeful smile. 

  It's Alan. 6 o'clock Sunday, I'll pick you up for dinner. And..... wear something lesser will ya?

  His face redden at the last sentence and couldn't help but smile excitingly. Hmm.. Who knows what fascinating things will that day bring? He pockets the phone and skim through the hawker stalls in the restaurant disinterestedly. I've been living here for goddamn eighteen years and the choices of food never change. If it's not pork noddles, then it's gonna be the curry one that close today.  

  His head snap towards both stalls that is just side - by side and shake his head knowingly. Nailed it. Uncle Curry is close today. He laughs silently to himself and strode towards the other food stall. Plastering a fake polite smile, he tries his best to not sound bored. 

  ' I'll have one bowl of pork noodles please and uh... take away. ' Lucas said to the busy seller who yells out a respond. Yep, still the same loudness. It's not like Lucas was expecting much from the man either. He chose a good seat not far away from the stall and took in his surrounding. ' It's been some time since I last came here..... ' He whisper to himself. 

  Today is Friday. Luke said he has a date with someone and wouldn't tell Lucas who that is no matter how hard he pesters him. Unfortunately, Lucas has to buy lunch and dinner himself. Now, currently Six thirty in the evening and still no texts or calls from Luke is making Lucas anxious. Busybody, you may describe him as but don't lie to yourself, wouldn't you be curious if your siblings is taking someone out for a date? Sorry, correction. Your sibling who sleeps around. 

  ' Wonder whose his lucky date. Wait no, just kidding.Whoever Luke has his eyes on is definitely not going to end well. ' Lucas mumble and pities the young girl who maybe doesn't know what she's getting herself into. ' Is someone sitting here? ' Lucas stops his pleasing habit of taking off his phone case then putting it back on. 

  A woman in her late twenties is giving him a small kind smile and pointing towards the empty seat opposite him. ' Oh no. No one's sitting there. ' He flashes her a quick grin and awkwardly look back at the stall to check if his order is ready. Funny move, as if Uncle Curry is ever that fast.

  ' Do you come here often? ' The woman ask. ' No, not exactly. ' Lucas answer quietly but made no attempt to elaborate. The women beams.  ' Are you here alone? ' To say Lucas is a little startled  is wrong because he's far, far away from that. STRANGER ALERT!!!  Red lights flash, the siren went off in his head and the five emotions scream at each other. You can practically hear sadness's cries and joy's unhelpful persuasion to calm down. Thanks guys. Lucas commented sarcastically. 

  The woman immediately noticed the boy's discomfort. ' I'm sorry, I don't have any bad intentions. My name's Clara by the way. ' She quickly apologizes and held out a slim hand for Lucas to shake. With sweaty and shaking hands, he took it uncertainly.  

  ' Umm.... Yeah. Sure, I'm Lucas. ' He shows her a weak smile which she gladly returns with a warm one. ' I came to buy food alone but my brother's actually at Family Mart two shops away. ' Lucas fake his most trustful voice with lies. Piece of advice, this is the way you test their spoken ' good intentions '. If they question more specifically, it's the call that tells you to get the hell away from them. 

  Clara didn't bother to start another conversation again, much to Lucas's relieve. ' Your noddles, boy!! ' A voice behind him barks. Lucas instantly shot up from his seat, not caring to say a simple goodbye to Clara and rushes over to pay for his food.