The Whys And The Hows

Beginne am Anfang

"It's what we do. None of us could leave a person out there alone especially a child. We will be watchful." Sean answers.

"I figured that. What can I do to help?"

"Keep Nicole here. She's used to going. Since she can't shift right now it would be to dangerous with Damon out there."

"Me and Jason will handle that." I smirk. "I never really got to meet you Rob." I grin and reach for his hand and shake.

"Yeah he's one of our dogs." Sean grins. Rob's eyes glow with irritation. Then he sighs and punches Sean's shoulder playfully. They both laugh.

"Huh. I thought you said he wasn't a wolf." I smile bemused.

"I'm not but I am a shifter, I'm the Irish Wolf Hound of legend. Humans used to use us to hunt werewolves. The ones who went rogue. We rebelled when they asked us to hunt all the wolves." Rob shrugs.

"Him and his brothers help us find lost people. Some shift to their dog form to help keep our secret. We can't be seen sniffing around like canines." Sean laughs. Nyx finally comes rushing out the the door with her medical bag in hand. Her mother right behind her.

"Nope your not going this time Nicole." I say snagging her and pulling her on to my lap. She looks annoyed.

"Why not?" Nicole glares at me.

"Because your pregnant and you can't shift. What if they need to make a quick escape? You're not as fast on two as you are on four feet." I explain.

"Fine you're right." She gives in grudgingly.

"Are all the hounds going?" She asks.

"Just my brothers and I. My father, Uncle, and cousins will remain here just in case." Rob answers.

"We appreciate your alliance with us at this time." Jason says resting his hand on the young man's shoulder.

"When we heard you would be facing berserkers. We had to help. We're not proud of it but we were bred for it." He says shamefully.

"Come on Rob none of that we have a child to find." Sean says and smacks his arm. With that Sean, Rob, and Nyx disappear down the trail to the main gathering area. I let go of Nicole and she heads back into the house with a barely audible growl. Jason chuckles. I smirk at him. I'm probably in for it later but I'm to interested in the idea of other shifters to care.

"So there are different shifters?" I ask Jason.

"Yes a few. I once ran into a bear. I've been told of panthers, but I've never seen one. There is another type of dog and tigers of course. Some shifters are becoming very scarce though. We weren't the only ones hunted. Humans shoot things they don't understand." He sighs sadly.
It's not the first time I've heard those words. I'm in the public eye a lot and I'm going on tour next year. How do I hide what I am.
"You're quiet all of a sudden." Jason states softly.

"I was just thinking how careful I'm going to have to be. I'm going on tour next year. I'm a public figure." I say low.

"It will be fine. Trust me. It's your new wives that will be most noticeable. If people get to nosey." He laughs slapping his knee.

"Hell I hadn't thought of that, Nikki Sixx the polygamist." All I can do is laugh with him. "Seriously though what do wolves do for a living to fit in and to keep hidden?"

"Well around here we work as search and rescue, park rangers, trail guides, and in fish and game. Anything that keeps us close to the wilderness we love. There are quite a few packs around the Rockies." He smiles.

"That's cool. Can different shifters breed?" I ask curious.

"Why? Have you seen one of those dogs sniffing around a female?" He growls.

"No Jason. I was just curious. Is there a prejudice against the hounds?" I state calmly.

"Some, but I like them. It's just it never ends well with the women if they are bred. It always ends in a painful miscarriage." He groans.

"Oh that's fucked. Do all the women know?" I whisper.

"Yes they are told before their first heat. It doesn't always stop them from falling in love. Even Nicole had a short tryst with a hound when she was young and lonely. He didn't care that her fur was black and she was small, but she wasn't naive enough to get pregnant like some." He answers quietly.

"I take it that's not common knowledge?" I keep my voice low.

"No and it needs to stay that way." He grunts and abruptly ends the conversation. He goes back to his whittling leaving me to my thoughts. I always liked being open and approachable to people. Now I have secrets to keep.