The Council meeting

Nikki's POV

Once everyone is gathered. They get right to it. No ceremony here.

"Alpha and Beta of The Teton range pack come forward." Jake and Joe walk forward and stand confidently in front of the Elders. "It has been brought to our attention that Nicole a breeder has been bred before she reached her intended mates. It happened in your territory."

"What!" Damon leaps to his feet." He growls. His eyes glowing and teeth showing. "We've waited years for her. I demand she be brought back into heat."

"A forced miscarriage is barbaric." Jason shouts and places himself in front of Nicole. I pull her into my arms. She's trembling in fear.

"Quiet both of you!" Lance the leader of the Council demands. "It is cruel and no longer allowed by our laws. Damon you know this."

Damon stands fuming.

"Damon, Max, Nicole, Jason, Nikki and Courtney step forward." Victor calls.

"Nicole is part of my pack now. I'm willing to make reparations. I offer my daughter Taya in the place of Nicole."

"We asked for Nicole. Only she will do." Damon states arrogantly.

"It's fair an Alpha's daughter for an Alpha's daughter." Jake adds.

"Fair, if you say so." Damon scoffs.

"Are you trying to insinuate that my daughter's status is not an equal to Nicole's." Jake hisses between his teeth. "You arrogant pup!" He reaches to grab a hold of Damon's shirt. Joe pulls him back.

"Easy brother. I'm sure Damon didn't mean it like that. Did you Damon?" Joe glares.

"No of course not." He stutters a bit.

"We will except this if Nicole will still run for us after her cubs are born." He adds his own condition.

"You will have to ask her mate to be." Jake responds.

"Breeders are not allowed to mate." He huffs. "Everyone knows that.

"Yes it something everyone thinks they know, buts it's not true." Lance corrects. "No where in our laws is It forbidden. It's just really discouraged. It would be hard for the mates involved and as Jake has stated he can be an obstacle. He has the right to turn down any male he deems unworthy."

Damon looks dumbfounded.

"Well he allow her to run?" He pushes on with the negotiations.

"I will allow Nicole to run for your pack as long as I pick the place and the males running." I answer calmly. He glares at me. He's pissed He is realizing. I won't let him have her.

"Fine I except." He spits out.

"Of course Damon since you have four cubs already. When Taya runs you will withdraw yourself as a fair leader." Lance suggests

"Of course Elder." He agrees in a sour voice and stomps off in a huff. The crowd parts ways to let him through. I have an uneasy feeling he gave in to quickly.

"As for you both Nikki, Jason. I hope you know what your getting yourselves into. Nicole has a few more years to go before her promise is kept to the packs. There can be no jealous outbursts from either of you. He sighs. Well I have no objection to the marriage. Does anyone else see a reason for it to be held off?" He asks. He gets no objections. "Good on with the next issue." He dismisses us back to our seats.

"So what is a wolf marriage ceremony like and what do we wear?" Courtney giggles. Jason smirks, kisses her cheek, and gathers us up into a tight hug.

Nicole's POV

I catch my father glaring at me. I've been avoiding him since he arrived this morning. He's probably miffed that he wasn't asked permission for me to wed. Normally gifts would be given to him and my natal pack because they were losing a daughter to another pack. All I can think is tough luck Bastard you valued me so little you traded me away long ago for a leather jacket you wanted. Nikki and Jason notice his glare.

"Who's that?" Nikki asks with a growl.

"That's Nicole father Henry. The pretty woman beside him is Colene her mother." Jason answers for me knowing I hate to speak his name. "It probably just dawned on him that he traded away a high status daughter years ago for next to nothing." He whispers gruffly holding me close. "We owe him nothing. I do plan to give Colene a gift for producing such an amazing and beautiful daughter." He nuzzles me.

"What would be an appropriate gift?" Nikki asks. He's still trying learn the culture of our people. I know he struggles with some of our ways that seem so old fashion or foreign. Most are kept because they protect us from the outside world or it eases tensions among individuals who depend on one another for survival. I go to answer his question but Jason beats me to it.

"Well Colene is a well established matron. Her Home is well supplied. So I would suggest jewelry." Jason answers. "A bracelet, necklace, or armband is appropriate for a son-in-law to give. Rings are to personal, a pin or broach is to formal. You also need to be careful about the design. You don't want to insult her."

"I'll help you Nikki." I giggle at his bemused expression.

"What would I offer if Decker marries inside the pack?" What would I except for my daughters to higher their status." Nikki's curiosity is peaked.

"That's a long discussion for a quiet evening." I laugh. I'm glad he's thinking ahead though.

Hours later Lance and the Elders have finished handling the personal disputes that have cropped up over this year. He's about to start discussing issues that effect the pack as whole. Some of it is interesting new packs forming, small packs joining together to be stronger. New sisters making the commitment to be breeders. Some of it though is just plain politics. Thank the moon lady all the children have dosed off. I sigh. We're stuck till it's over.

"I have a dispute." A rough voice is heard over the crowd. "Hello little brother." He grins menacingly at my father.
It's my uncle Ciel. No this man has a scar on his cheek. It's my uncle Adan his identical twin. Ciel finally comes out of the crowd to join him. I've never see Adan before only Ciel. He would bring small presents and treats to me when he visited. I'm confused by his words. I always thought my father was the oldest of that birthing. I watch my father back away as they stride forward. Adan glances my way a gentle expression on his face before he turns back to my father.