08

JUNGKOOK POV

JUNGKOOK POV

"H-hey, what..." I'm stunned by her sudden behaviour. We do this stuff all the time, so why's she so affected by it?

"You got me, okay Jeon? Are you fucking happy now?" She stutters in between sobs.

The door bursts open, Haru rushing to us. She looks over at Byeol, who turns away angrily eyes glistening. "B-Byeol, I didn't—"

"I'll be in my room. Leave when you're done," she turns away from us coldly.

As soon as she disappears upstairs I hold my breath. Her crying image etched in my mind, an unsettling feeling of pain hitting in the pits of my heart.

"Jungkook," Haru softens her tone. I look at her confused, slightly concerned.

"Don't you know about her parents?"

"Of course I do. They're split up, why?" I question her. I regret my tone of voice immediately, not intending to sound so harsh. I just genuinely don't know where this is going.

"Jungkook... They got divorced on her birthday."

Oh.

Oh.

A shaky breath escapes my lips as I put both palms on my forehead and tilt my head up, eyes squeezed tight. I've royally screwed up this time.

"Fuck," is all I manage to say.

"You fucked up big this time, Jeon. You are so self-centred you forget other people have feelings too. Fuck off and have the worst week ever," her voice grave in all seriousness. She leaves Byeol's house knowing she needs to be alone, leaving me to gravel in my own stunned silence and guilt.

KANG BYEOL POV

Weak. Crybaby. Problematic.

That's all I can think of myself right now. Out of all days to get a divorce, why would you do it on your only child's birthday?

This has been a deep-seated thought in me for years now. Did they do it out of spite? It doesn't help that they made the main reason for their split up so obvious— me.

I could tell their change in behaviour towards me, even as a kid. It was no longer the loving and caring demeanour they used to have, still remembering the gradual change into blaming and hate. They hardly visit this house but are required by government to pay for it, along with sending me money every month.

I've never used their hate money before, constantly working on my own to make my own money. I'd feel an overwhelming sense of regret simply for being born when I have to look at it and be reminded I'm the cause of my parents' miserable lives.

And Jeon Jungkook took every shred of hatred I ever felt for myself and shoved it back in my face as a goddamn joke.

I can't even find the energy to be angry with him, it just hurts too much. Seeing everyone's faces of pity and laughter sends me spiralling even further.

I could hear bits of their conversation downstairs just now, knowing Haru told him the truth. I sit at my desk and take out my feelings journal. I have no one to talk to, not even Haru, so this book is my only comfort when I have to deal with my extreme emotions. I write them all down, sparing no detail how I feel right now. My vision goes blurry as tears helplessly escape. I couldn't be bothered to wipe them away, too deep in my own thoughts to care.

Kimchi rubs her snout against me, licking my arm. She always knows when I need comfort most, blessing me with her presence. I stroke her fur slowly, trying to calm my mind and heart. Seeing her curious face look up at me I give in, bursting into sobs once more. I hug her large body stroking her as I let my heart out. It's always been like this since I was 14, being the only one here for me to have a shoulder to cry on.

It's fucking pitiful I hate it so much.

As I fall deeper into my own feelings I fail to notice a pair of eyes watching me from across.

𓈉 ☆ 𓈉

I show up the next day to school, puffy-eyed and heavy eyebags weighing me down. I didn't get much sleep yesterday and am not in the mood for anyone's bullshit.

"Are you okay, Byeo—"

"Don't call me that. Just leave me alone, Yeona," I say tiredly putting my head on my desk.

Please take me away from here, dreamland.

No one else spoke to me the rest of the time in school, however feeling a few pairs of eyes watch me almost everywhere I went. I straighten my work attire and smile emptily at visitors. As I'm wrapping up with a customer I turn my head and see Jungkook staring at me. He quickly looks away flustered as I recall my birthday events yesterday.

The feeling of pain hitting my chest I decide to head back to the locker room and change back to normal clothes, telling the supervisor I don't feel well. He reluctantly lets me leave, knowing something isn't right. I thank him for being understanding and get my bag. Just as I'm leaving Jungkook rushes in.

"I don't want to talk to you, Jungkook," my voice comes out hoarse.

"Please, I'm not letting you leave until you hear me out," he blocks the exit with his body.

Unbelievable. "Are you fucking kidding me, Jeon? You throw a fucking sick practical joke on me on my birthday, remind me why my parents hate me so much and now you're not letting me leave because you have something you need to get off your chest?"

I push him away repeatedly with force, trying to push past him but to no avail. "Come on Kang, just a few minutes," he rushes.

I start getting extremely frustrated walking around the room, angry tears beginning to well up in my eyes.

"Let me go, please," I beg, my voice cracking with desperation. My hands shoot up to my sides, trying to holding myself together.

His expression softens at my state, arms falling from the doorframe. He looks down at his feet, angling his body so the exit is free now.

As I'm leaving he shouts after me one last thing before watching me disappear from view.

"I'll make it up to you Kang, just wait."