prologue

10 YEARS OLD

10 YEARS OLD

She hugs her star pillow perched on the window sill, watching people go by on the street. It's a very special day for her, yet no one else seems to think so. She spots a new boy with his mother walk past her house on the sidewalk and eyes them intently as they disappear into the house next door.

"New friend?" She thinks out loud.

Ignoring everything else living room she opens the door and walks over to the neighbour's house, still holding her star pillow.

Ding dong.

A nice-looking lady appears, smiling at the child. She looks into the house and sees the same boy sitting on the couch playing with his toy train.

"Are you our new friends?" She asks, innocently looking up at her starry-eyed.

The lady chuckles, ruffling her hair a bit. "Ah, you must be from the house next to us! You can call me ahjumma and this is my son, Jungkook."

She calls him from the sofa, seeing his small frame reluctantly coming out to meet his neighbour.

"Mommy, I don't like her," he decides already, glaring at the girl.

"Don't be rude, Jeon Jungkook. What's your name?" The woman warns him lowly before switching her attention back.

"Kang Byeol."

"Well Kang Byeol, your name really suits you. You look just like a star," she smiles warmly. Byeol giggles at ahjumma, squishing her pillow in the process.

"Mommy, can I go now?" Jungkook's whining voice resonates suddenly. Byeol frowns at him, disappointed he doesn't want to be friends with her.

"I wanted to play with you," she whines.

Jungkook looks at her and starts to pout. "I don't like to be friends with people like you."

With that, he walks back into the house and picks up his trains once more. Byeol huffs in disappointment, feeling irritated by his cold attitude. Ahjumma looks down at the girl in pity, pinching her cheek in an attempt to lighten her mood.

"Sorry about Jungkook. He can be like that sometimes, he'll come around eventually don't worry."

Just then a loud crashing sound startles the two, seeming to come from the next house. "Kang Byeol!" The shrill of a woman's voice resonates in the air.

The little girl unknowing of the gravity of the situation skips back into the house happily, waving back at her. "Thank you for talking to me, ahjumma! My mommy is calling."

Jungkook's mother looks over warily, but waves back anyways. She watches as the young child skips away before closing her door and having a talk with her son on manners.

As soon as she gets home she sees the house in a mess and a plate cracked to pieces on the floor. The tension in the room is suffocating, looking back and forth and her parents.

"Mommy, daddy? What's wrong?"