• Chapter Eighteen •

"I don't dance!" I say nervously.

"Pretty pleasee?" Jun says.

Don't give me those puppy dog eyes! It's hard to resist.

"Okay!" I say and accept his offer.

I place one hand on his shoulder and the other in his hand. We both start dancing to the music slowly.

♪ Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms

Barefoot on the grass, we're listenin' to our favorite song

When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath

But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight. ♪

He twirls me around and places his hand on my waist, that pulls me back to him.

Smooth.

How does he not have a girlfriend again?

"I've never seen you with your hair down. You look really pretty." He says. We're both swaying to and fro to the music.

"Really? Oh I don't like my hair getting in the way most of the time. But I keep it down when I go out. Thank you by the way." I feel like I'm blabbering too much trying to hide how happy I feel with his compliment.

"You're welcome." He says.

Now I clearly see what he's wearing. It's a white turtleneck with a checkered coat on top. His hair is brown in color. He looks really smart.

Our eyes are locked together as we move from side to side. I feel something shift in myself. Maybe it's us dancing together that feels magnetic. We're both dancing to the rythym. I can't help but smile. He might be shy but I think he can get along with me well. I also feel comfortable around him.

The music ends and we separate.

"Maya. That was good! I liked dancing to this beautiful song with you." Jun says to me.

My heart flutters.

I nod. "Me too." Are the only words that come out of my mouth.

Yeon-jun, stop making me feel this way about you!

"Umm well! I'm going to get some coke. Do you guys want anything?" Jun asks us as we depart from dancing.

"Yeah! Bring me some hot chocolate." Asher says.

"I'll take a mocha frappe." I say.

"Umm I haven't decided yet. Jun and I will bring you guys the drinks. Wait here." Sky says and Jun agrees.

"Ok." I say to them.

They reach the counter and there's a long line already waiting for their turn.

"Looks like it might be a while for them to come back to us." I say as I look at them.

"Let's go the beach then. What do you say?" Asher suggests.

"But they said we should wait for them." I say back.

"We should sneak out come on! This is the right moment. I'm sure they'll be able to find us." He says tapping his feet up and down.

"Umm then, let's go." I say as I make a dash for the exit.

"Whao! Hold on!" He says as he catches up to me.

We're both outside.

The beach is straight ahead of us. I start walking towards it.

"Miss Maya! This was my idea. Walk with me, atleast." He says.

Sigh. Can I have a moment to myself while I'm around these two? The answer is definitely no.

I stop in my tracks and turn slightly to look at him.

"You're slow." I say.

"Oh yeah? Let's see how true that is." He says mockingly. He starts running to the beach. His long legs are his strength for this matter.

This guy!

I run too. And call out to him, "JUST NOW, YOU WERE BEING A BABY ABOUT WHY I WASN'T WALKING WITH YOU."

I see him tilt his head back and laugh. He starts fiddling his hand in the sand.

I remove my boots, fold my jeans and feel the wet sand on my feet. It's relaxing. The sound of the ocean waves is calming to my ears. I take a deep breath.

"You seem to enjoy this view." Asher says as he comes up to me.

"Who wouldn't? This is the best feeling." I reply.

"I got something for you." He shows me his hand and there is a huge crab squirming in his palm.

"AHH! GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME!" I scream and start running away from him.

He starts following me with it!

He's got the audacity to follow me around with that crab and laugh at me?!

"Don't come any closer or else." I say as I put my hands up in defense.

But as I'm moving backwards, I don't have my balance on the crunching pebbles under my feet. I slip. Face front. On top of Asher.

"Ow!" I hear Asher. His arms are wrapped around my back.

Shit. I'm on top of him. This is not good.

I move my head up and Asher grabs my hand.

"Please please! Let that crab go away!" I tell him closing my eyes.

"Haha I already let that little one go as you were about to slip." He says.

You call that a "little one"?! You need to get your eyes checked Ashlee.

He then, cups my face with both hands. My hair is stuck to my cheeks.

"I like this." He says.

I stare right into his eyes. Not knowing what to think. My hands feel shaky. Our faces are too close to each other.

I quickly get up and brush myself away from the wet sand. I ignore what he just said to me. I wear my boots as I want to go back inside.

"Maya!! Hey!" I hear Asher calling my name.

I can't let him see me. I don't stop walking away from him. I don't want to misunderstand the situation with him just now.

What did he mean when he said "I like this?" Don't tell me that he like-

"I'm going back inside! They're probably looking for us." I shout back without turning.

Is it just me? Or have I gotten more clumsy lately. What's going on!?