Solomon's Shoulders

Three days have passed. Solomon dreamed of seeing Amber again, but here he was doing his duty as a father.

His dream had to wait.

The school carried a bright coat of paint. It was different from what he last remembered, when it was painted blue and green. Now with a blend of red and rosy orange, it stood out against its neighbor, the Marshbow Pentecostal Church with its brown and peach colors.

Walking on the outside of the school, the women stared at him from time to time. These stares were not stares of admiration, but curiosity.

Looking around, he saw no men. Great, he really should not have come, for he was out of place.

Sonia asked him to come with her to insert Andrew into pre-school. Things were moving too fast.

Even as Solomon looked at Andrew, he barely looked his way. Well, it was not like they got that much bonding.

Solomon checked his sister's messages?

Yuh have child and nuh tell me?

Solomon, how in God's name yuh fi breed she!?

Solomon call me please, why, why?!

People's hatred of Sonia was now getting to him. Latisha came back and must have found out. Though his mother should have called her and told her.

Sighing, he noticed a dark woman with round rim glasses. She dressed in a dark blue button-up jacket over a skirt of similar color.

She nodded and he hesitated.

"Good morning are you here for your child's orientation?" She asked with a tinge of resolve.

"Yes I am," Solomon said.

"Join us please, we are about to begin?"

"Hm, I am still waiting for someone."

"Who?"

A voice came clearly. "Right behind him miss." He turned to see Sonia. She was in a white shirt and dark gray skirt ending below the knees. Her arm gripped onto his shoulder as she stood to his left.

The lady which he assumed to be the teacher smiled and even tapped his son on his head.

"Andrew's father just came from visiting his family, so I told him to meet me here rather than meet at home," Sonia said as a matter of fact.

The teacher nodded favorably to that.

"Yes, well right this way. We will be starting now."

They followed the teacher and Sonia wrung him by the arm like cattle.

The orientation went on. Teachers introduced themselves. They sat down on the chairs provided and they told them everything they needed to know about the school's operation. Lessons that were taught and they were even asked for suggestions on how they could improve. Most of it passed over his head.

Most of that was spent chatting with Amber.

Amber wrote, Too much work and so little time. What u up to?

Solomon replied to her. Dealing wit sumting

Me tired. Amber typed back.

A nuh yuh one

Life is tiring.

Well it is a journey

The journey too long.

Well if you want I can carry you some of the way

You love do tings fi people?

Solomon thought about that then replied. Only the ones I care about deeply