Amber's Training

Amber stared out into the surrounding woods, while the scent of peppermint stung their noses, not only hers. 

Sonia's hands grasped Amber's shoulder. "You done?"

Solomon was the only one that could pull off miracles like this. She turned around and Sonia pulled her head back instinctively. 

Amber blinked and shivered which caused Sonia to pull her fingers back.

A smile crept along Amber's face. "Yeah." She turned her head to the roadside where the storefront was. "Michaela done buy down the whole road?"

Sonia snickered. "You can assist her."

Across from them was Michaela buying breadfruit, coconuts, and papaya from a seller. Their assortment of goods laid on the wooden stall outside of their shack.

Amber glanced down at her vibrating phone. 

Listen to me you not worrying today all your worries are mine no worry for you

She smiled at Solomon's message. Amber had told him before she was worried about selling the house. It's been her home for so long, so she had some attachment to it.

That attachment was gone.

Amber sent back. When is Shanice at your home?

Sonia said, "I'm still surprised sometimes."

Amber looked up and saw the twinkle in Sonia's eyes. "'Bout?"

"Solomon."

Amber wasn't sure how to speak about Solomon with Sonia. It was weird. On any other day, she would have told anyone that she would never date a friend's ex. That day arrived and Amber didn't answer the question correctly.

"We have what? A whole lifetime to hash that out."

Sonia turned her head and flashed her eyelashes. "Take care of him fi me."

"Hey, listen, I did it for me. Not for you."

Sonia made a facial shrug. "That ca' gwan."

They all got inside the car and Amber drove off into the countryside.  Valletta stared out into the passing trees, casting scattered shadows over their ride, while Sonia stared at her hand mirror and Michaela drank from her coconut with a straw. 

Amber pulled up her phone in one hand and held the wheel with the other hand. 

When I'm working  

After midnight you affi bless me for the morning work

Amber clicked the recording button. "Mind you piss off your boss, if me make you late for this… work."

Sonia glanced at Amber with a raised eyebrow. 

Amber blushed and added, "And bring your best alcohol mix, for the get-together and whatnot."

"It's going to be weird between you two." Michaela held a hand over her mouth threatening to reveal her scorching laughter.

"There is no way it's going to be weird for me. Me nuh love him, but I do respect him. I have to give him his props. Me never expect him to come to me and say that."

Amber turned onto the next road. "Me still in shock."

Valletta said, "Isn't that more stress on you?"

Amber gave a facial shrug. "We all been Andrew's mothers. But I swear to God I cuss him." Everyone laughed out aloud. Amber continued, "No, hold on, you know what's the worst part him never even tell me. Sonia affi tell me. And then he's like that's his responsibility he didn't want to involve me. You serious?"