Amber's Dream

The wind was dead in the scorching evening sun.

“Should be there in a hour,” Solomon said.     

Valletta and Sonia armed with scandal bags of goods approached from the front gate of a two-floor green plaza. It was nearly three o'clock and they were a short distance from the house.

She was going to meet Solomon today and he was supposed to take her out to dinner.

Amber said, “Me da a road now, but I'll be there when you reach.”

“Alright.” He ended his call.

Amber slid her phone back into her bag as Andrew grabbed her pants. Sonia asked as soon as she got near. “Which man yuh a hide from me?”

She wasn't ready yet to reveal Solomon to Sonia and was glad Valletta hadn't exposed their little secret. Amber smirked saying, "You know I am single.” 

Sonia frowned then licked her ice cream. Andrew had ice cream in one hand and was slapping Amber's leg with the other. 

Amber ruffled his head. "Hey, little man!"

Andrew smacked her hand away and pulled away. Valletta laughed.

Amber pointed her pink manicured finger at Sonia. "What about your baby father?"

Valletta snorted. "Mhm?"

Sonia's eyes narrowed before diverting to the plaza. "He's… doing well. Him kind of doing new things nowadays."

Valletta waved her hands between the two friends. "Hold on, baby father?"

Sonia grimaced and looked down at the ground. "Andrew is not my boyfriend's child. He's my Ex's child."

Valletta rocked her head. "I can believe that."

Sonia whipped her head back. "Because you like believe everything you do is perfect and everybody else is wrong."

"Yeeeeah, so he taking care of Andrew?" Amber jumped in to prevent an argument.

Sonia glared at Valletta's battering eyelashes and cut her eyes to glance at Amber. "Yes, he is. I can always rely on him. When I need him, him deliver. That a one thing about him."

Amber smirked. "Sound like you falling in love again."

Sonia blushed as her lips curled inward. "I wouldn't say that." She smiled after nodding. "But I might."

Did Sonia ever feel love? Or was everything all about the love of life? 

Amber knew what it was like and wanted it again. Her heart collapsed into a passionate volcano that burned her entire body to a pyre when that kiss touched her. Every part of her was on fire in memory of it. 

It was just Rohan's face and that annoyed her. She wanted Solomon's face there.

Amber gestured at her chest. "You a go love it."

Sonia drew her hair back chuckling and said, “We'll see. Me a go leave yuh still.”

Amber replied, “Oh, okay.” 

Valletta sucked on her Popsicle then said, “I wish the sun would just disappear.” 

Sonia said, “Bye guys!”

Amber and Valletta waved bye to Sonia as they parted ways. They turned down the narrow patch of dirt with skinny trees growing out from the inner edge. Its top sections curved over them, providing shattered shade.

Amber asked, “Not even summer and we are baking here like some fried chicken.”

“Well is you love the hotness.”