Solomon's Cargo

Solomon laid the roll of floor runner into the truck as his phone buzzed for his attention. He wiped his brow and exhaled as he came out from under the shade of the box van's shutter door. 

The evening sun baked Solomon, but the coming annoyance of riding on a bus back home was worse.

If anything, talking to Amber would make that worthwhile. 

Ragnow sauntered with his square-mouthed loafers out of the workplace's storage area and onto the asphalt of the parking lot to gesture behind Solomon. "Remember, make sure it's the heavy bungee, not normal ones. Unno keep bringing the wrong tools to the job man."

He was glad that wasn't aimed at him, because he knew he didn't make any mistakes.

Solomon was about to pass him when Ragnow motioned at Solomon and Solomon slowed to a stop next to him.

"You're beaming with energy today?" Ragnow asked with an odd raise of his eyebrows.

Solomon chuckled and averted his eyes as he rubbed his palms together. "Yeah, I guess sir."

"Oh, yes, Baxton is asking for you."

Now, what did that guy want?

Solomon nodded with pursed lips. "Is it important?"

Ragnow laughed and cut his eyes away. "It's important to him."

Solomon liked how open he could be with Ragnow. "I guess."

Ragnow glanced up and rubbed his chin. "Hey, one more thing, he's kind of miserable today, so do what you need to do and finish up."

Wasn't he miserable every day?

"Sure. Where is he?"

After being directed, Solomon found his royal Highness at the front of the building next to the pickup truck. As soon as Solomon arrived on the scene, Baxton motioned at the large plastic containers in the lobby that was needed inside the pickup truck.

He also wanted Solomon to drive the truck to the Greater Portmore office of a distributer company that was in the family like all their other companies. Normally, he had no problem with this, because it allowed him to avoid backbreaking labor for a few hours and the hassle of clocking in the work hours since the boss's son more or less gave him his pink slip to exploit that.

The only problem was that Baxton was coming with him for some reason. 

Solomon wanted to say no, but he wasn't even sure how to. Plus, he didn't want to get fired if he did. Baxton was an influential man in this company and saying no to him wasn't a good start to his career here.

So the two jumped into the truck and drove off. Solomon came out of the commercial district and reached the large two-lane road leading towards the center of Half-Way-Tree.

Baxton sat aloof in his chair staring absently out into the growing evening traffic.

Solomon glanced across to the supermarket sitting behind the low wall of the plaza. He took out his phone and checked the time.

There was a message, hopefully from Amber.

Solomon wanted to collect that fish from Demario, buy some stuff, not only for the house since his son was over with him, but because he wanted to get the materials for the mudslide.

It was a random idea, but if it was her favorite drink and he could remake it, then she would love it.

Valentine's day wasn't going to pass him and he didn't make it.

"Is who making you so happy?"

Solomon froze and the phone babbled in his palm.

Baxton's eyebrows arched up with his eyes trained on Solomon like he committed murder.