Solomon's Bane

Solomon rolled the smartphone in his hand as Andrew ran behind the sofa Solomon sat in. 

He was already dressed and at his mother's house. She should come soon. Though Solomon was starting to worry about that 'soon'.

Solomon needed to get to the club by eleven o'clock, for that's what Amber and Solomon agreed on, but he should get there early for all Jamaicans arrived late. It didn't matter whether she was late, for he shook with excitement to see her. 

It was pass eight o'clock and Solomon called his mother's phone only to get voicemail. He groaned, for Solomon hoped his mother came in time.

He was in Spanish Town and the Cellar Club was in Kingston. That was a good distance from here. If it gets past nine o'clock, there was no way he was going to make it in time.

Solomon went through Demarco's messages.

I mean I ain't going to lie you can definitely do the job and tall time you move up. 

You love work when you feel like work.

Dog listen to me, you have to drop that mindset. You want the big money. You walk in their time, not yours.

Originally, Solomon was offered this job at the moving company months prior. He declined it, because of the heavy work schedule.

There was little choice now, but maybe Demarco was right. Solomon needed to fall in line, but he hated that way of life.

A high-pitched crack woke Solomon from his thoughts. He turned and saw Andrew at the door to Latisha's room. To his side, a photo frame fell from the wooden corner table. 

Solomon called, “Andrew.”

Andrew's back was to Solomon and he did not turn at all. It was like he was mesmerized by the room. 

Solomon called again, “Andrew.”

Andrew swayed with a shifting dance of his feet. Solomon got up and called, “Andrew.” Andrew jumped then twirled his head around. As soon he saw Solomon, Andrew ran inside. Solomon went in and saw Andrew waving his arms at him. 

There was a pause, while Solomon watched Andrew's peculiar behavior. Solomon stepped forward. Andrew ran wide. 

The kid was avoiding him. He wasn't sure if the kid was scared of him or if he was playing a game. Solomon didn't have the time for these mental dives. He reached after him, but Andrew slipped under him leaving him in the dust.

Solomon growled in vexation as he watched Andrew run into the kitchen.  This boy made Solomon sigh in vexation. He wished he did not have to deal with this right now. Solomon went out back and looked down at the photo frame.

He took it up. It had to be this one. In it was him in a black vest jacket over a white shirt with blue dress pants and black round-mouthed boots. He was holding his sister in his young five-year-old arms. His mother was behind him to his left and—his father was to his right.

They were all dressed and ready to go to church. Not even God could turn back the hands of time and he did pray that it would back then. When he left, Solomon was never the same and the pressure fell on him to be the father in that situation.

The funny thing was Solomon never was a parent. He worked and that was it.  Now he had to be a parent and he was not sure how to go about doing it. 

His phone rang. He took it out and answered without looking at the screen. “Hello?” He placed back the photo on the table.

“Solomon, what's up? How you nuh call me?”

It was Jackson. His landlord, for Solomon immediately remembered he never paid him yet for this month's rent.