Amber's Doubt

“Thanks Andre. Me glad you don't look on me like me the devil here,” Amber said.

Andre was a bulky man and was also Rohan's cousin. They sat in one of the mini lounges. He shrugged as if that was nothing. “I understand A. Me was hearing stories and I was like that can't be you, you see me?”

“Them a spread those rumors to make me look bad in front of the judge. I would never do that. You know that Andre. All I wanted was my fair share. Well him is going to get his karma.”

Andre laughed and took up his drink. “Him nuh fi do that A.”

“Him love lie, he can't stop lie.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Andre looked out on the dancefloor. “Yo me nah keep you.”

Amber said as she got up, “Good luck then we will link.”

Andre answered back, “Likkle more.”

They separated and Amber applauded herself for keeping a straight face even though anger shackled her. Andre told her Rohan was going around saying Amber stole the documents to his business and placed her name there.

That lying, little troll. Amber was not having any mercy on him anymore. According to the estimate, the stock was worth eighty million. When she sent a message to him about the estimation he got angry at her for even going to get it valued, so he said to her it was wrong.

Amber did not believe him. He was shortchanging her and she was not going to let him.  

Lying piece of trash.

She stopped suddenly as a man walked up. “Yo, fatty-”

Amber waved her hand at him. “Sorry I am here with someone.” Also, she was no fatty! Amber hated when men approached her talking about her like she was a piece of meat for appraisal.

The man seemed perturbed, but recoiled back. “Them nah have to know.”

“I would know,” Amber said with a plastic smile as she rounded him. 

Right, she needed to stop thinking about Rohan. She came here with Solomon and she wanted to spend some time with him. She wondered how much time passed.

She checked then she frowned. Two hours, Amber wondered what has Solomon been up to for the past two hours. He was with her friends, so he should be occupied. 

Amber went down and stopped at the bottom of the stairs. What was Michaela doing?

Her feet were on their tiptoes as she kissed him on his ear. 

Her mouth became agape, and her bottom lip slowly tensed to the right. It rolled back into a tight closing bite of her lips. Anger welled up in Amber at this sight.  

The DJ scratched the record and started playing some sappy R&B song. Seriously, this DJ pushed way too many love songs in this club.

Solomon and Michaela walked back to Valletta at the bar. Michaela was animated as she pointed at Valletta. 

Amber knew she was not supposed to be pissed, but she could not deny she was enraged. It was not like he was talking with her. They literally were glued to each other as she drew him close and he smirked like some giddy fool. 

She had a bad feeling when Michaela started to talk to him. Fine, if he wanted Michaela he can keep her. Not like she cared. At least she knew he did not care about her. 

Amber looked away and flexed her lips in disdain. Air, this place was suffocating, too many bodies. Amber pushed between a couple and went to the bathroom. She came in on two women in conversation at the sinks. 

No privacy, Amber cut her eyes and paid them no mind as they fixed their hair in front of the mirrors. Amber ran the tap and flooded her face with water. She took out her rag and wiped her face before exhaling heavily. 

She blinked as she held the sink sides. Get a grip, it was fine, better now rather than later, right? Amber rolled the resolve of her life in her mind and tried to think positive thoughts. 

But this party was boring and she wanted to go home. She came back outside to see Valletta and Michaela laughing with each other. She walked over there briskly.

Amber walked up to Valletta. “Hey.”

Valletta grabbed her hand and dragged her close. “Sup, where you been?” 

Amber tilted her head at Solomon. Solomon's raised from his seat and waved at her. Amber noted the drink. Did he buy a second one? Amber narrowed and then cut her eyes at him. “Around.”

Valletta must have caught Amber's tone and rolled her eyes as she said. “Whoa, wha' gwan?”

Amber dragged Valletta away to talk to her about Rohan. Michaela was left with Solomon. Amber and Valletta talked for a while until Valletta went back to the dance floor.

The DJ got more boring as the night went on. He replayed the same songs. Talk about a limited catalog, as she was about to go up to the top floor Solomon appeared from her right. 

“Hey-”

Amber ignored him by pretending she did not hear or see him. Something came in front of her, so she stepped back in alarm. Solomon stood on the stairway, for he somersaulted from the rail unto it. He waved his arms outward and asked with a smile. “What's good?”

This man… ”Not sure, you tell me,” Amber answered.

Solomon scratched the side of his head. “Well, I'm a bit tired and sort of frass, and ah, well stuff is...”

This man's eyes stared into hers. Her legs wobbled under the weight of his desire. Rohan's eyes always looked away. Solomon never did.

The heat at the back of her neck finally left her sweltering enough to shake her out of that luscious musing. Why was she thinking of Rohan right now? Or was it Solomon doing more than talking?

No wonder it angered her. She wanted him for herself. 

Amber wavered her eyes to the dance floor. Michaela and Valletta danced with each other. 

Solomon said, “Can we talk? I been killing to be with you all night.”

Amber averted her eyes, while she doubted that and her rising heat said otherwise. She wanted to ask about Michaela, but he would likely lie. Amber would ask Michaela herself later.

What time was it? Checking her phone, she saw that it was pass two o'clock. “Sure.”

Mini-Glossary 

Link - Meet with someone

Likkle more - Later

Wha' gwan - What is going on