~Chapter 1- Population Control~

~Chapter One~

~Juaquin~

~2010~

         The waters outside my home were lit a bright orange. Normally around this time, dad and I would play on the beach until the sun finally set. But dad hadn't been home for awhile. Not since he left a week ago.

         Me and Melissa's brown hair was soaked by the ocean's water as we splashed around and swam deeper in. She was helping me to take my mind off my dad. She was always great as that over the years.

         While we played Arturo, an unassuming and scrawny boy with unkempt black hair, waded in shallow water. Melissa had started inviting him over ever since we stopped some kids from picking on him at school. The three of us were eight at the time.

         Our dad's didn't like us spending time with Arturo though, especially Raul, Melissa's dad.

         "He's too weak. Kids like him won't do well once they're adults. They hold the rest of us back. He won't last long after he turns 18," Raul educated us, stroking his beard as spoke, "He's not like you two. You two have that indomitable will that this country needs more of."

         I splashed some water at Arturo, but he just stood there. I threw more at him to try and entice him to splash back, but instead he sauntered away.

         "Don't run away! I'm just playing," I remarked.

         "I'm done swimming," Arturo continued to trudge out of the water.

         "Don't be such a pushover. This is why those kids at school picked on you."

         "Juaquin!" Melissa chided me.

         "It's true!" I insisted.

         "It's not." Arturo started to dry himself off and put his clothes back on.       

         "You can't be so weak Arturo. My dad said that they take weak people away." I attempted to enlighten him.

         Arturo glared at me intensely. There was anger in his eyes.

         "Juaquin! Apologize!" Melissa demanded like a stern mother.

         A pang of guilt hit my chest and I managed to say, "I'm sorry... I didn't mean it."

         Arturo looked at me, he knew I meant it. Nevertheless, he said, "It's okay."

         He laid back on the sand and looked up at the sky. Melissa and I continued to swim around in the water, albeit much less enthusiastically. Eventually the last bit of sun dwindled away beneath the horizon. The three of us walked up the beach back home.

away beneath the horizon. The three of us walked up the beach back home.

         Mom came out from the porch of our picturesque white house, followed by Yolanda, Melissa's mom. Mom had a slight bulge in her belly from my coming sibling.

         "Juaquin!" My mom yelled, anxiety clear in her voice, "It's your dad!"

         Without hesitation I sprinted to the house. I noticed a military vehicle parked out front. When I stepped into the house, there he was. Dad was in a wheelchair being pushed along by Raul and another soldier in the traditional white and blue uniform of the Rhiveran Military. Raul's uniform had a decal on its chest to indicate his rank as Captain. Dad wasn't conscious.

         "What happened?" Mom asked in duress.

         "Captain Neruda was injured." The soldier said. I looked down at my dad's legs. They were limp, and there were a dark muddied bandages over his thighs.