EP 4 (SURPRISE)

1 January 2017, Saturday, 11:12 a.m.

Clothes were scattered everywhere on her bed. Papers of postponed homework messed up her desk. The owner was sitting on the floor, folding the clothes. She grabbed her bottle and drank. Suddenly, her roommate Violet came into the room.

She was panting heavily and screamed, "You're adopted!" The outburst made the girl cough up the water in her mouth.

"What?!" She wiped her mouth while looking at her best friend in disbelief.

"But I didn't meet them yet, how can they just decide that?" She questioned. To adopt the children, the person needs to meet the children for introductions.

"I've no idea. I heard Mrs Kang talked to someone and they said they want to adopt you." Violet explained her eavesdropped information.

"She agreed?" Minhee asked.

"Yeah!" Violet confirmed. The other stayed quiet for a while.

Mrs Kang would never do something on impulse. She would always think of other things. That's just how she is. To think that she let a total stranger adopt the kids without a meeting is unbelievable. However, she put her trust in the lady.

"Minhee." The said lady called her behind Violet.

"Mrs Kang, who are they?" She stood up from the floor and walked to the older, avoiding the folded clothes.

"You don't need to worry about that, I've handled the problem thoroughly. For now, prepare your things. You'll be leaving next week." The lady declared to the 11-year-old.

"Oh," Minhee spoke.

"That soon?" Violet cried out beside Minhee. She puckered her lips into a pout, glancing at her best friend.

Someone adopted me without meeting me. I have to leave this place and lived with them. That's a good thing, but why do I have a bad feeling about this?

Minhee sighed at the thought of leaving the orphanage. Leaving her best friend of 4 years, the children, the staff and Mrs Kang. It stung her heart.

A week later, Minhee finished her packing and closed her luggage. She has sighed several times today, considering it's her last. She turned to Violet's side of the room and stared at her belongings. The memories flood in her mind. All the time they spent together. Before she realised it, her eyes became teary.

A few blinks helped her prevent the tears from seeping. With that, she grabbed everything and left the room. Not before sniffing her nose.

At the entrance, the children, Violet and Mrs Kang waited for her. She sucked a breath and walked towards them. A little girl came up to her, "You'll visit us, right?"

Minhee looked down at her saying, "Yeah, I will." She reached to the girl and patted her head. Then, she glanced at her roommate. Violet's nose was runny and her eyes became teary. She crashed into Minhee for a hug. Both of them didn't talk and let their actions speak.
Minhee gave her a bag, saying "For everyone."

With that, she bid goodbyes to everyone as her ride started. Watching them slowly pass brought gloom to her.

"You don't have to worry, child. You lived happy moments with them. It's time to move on, it's alright." The driver spoke gently with his British accent. As if he could read what was on her mind.

Minhee scanned his appearance through the mirror. He has dark brown hair with a few strands of greys, indicating his old age. A suit tailored his tall and wide physique.

"Thank you, sir." She mumbled for him to hear. "No problem, child. Get ready, we've got a long ride." He asserted.

A few hours later, Minhee noticed the area was crowded and busy. She frowned at the difference between her orphanage area, Elderville and this area.

"What is this place?" She asked the driver.

"This is the central city, young lady. Where technology is most advanced in the country." The driver clarified to the girl in the backseat.

"Oh." She retorted. The sudden change of reference doesn't go unapparent to her. Young lady? She decided not to issue it and incite something with the driver.

After a while, they finally stopped at an apartment complex. The driver helped her with the luggage. Soon, they entered an apartment. Minhee looked around the room. She noticed a huge Totoro plushie.

"Why's there a Totoro bear on the couch?"

"It's a present from your adopter." The man answered. She bobbed her head at his answer.

"So where are they?"
"Well, there's one thing you need to know." He declared, ignoring her question.

"They won't meet you, you'll be living here under their custody."

The girl looked at him. "What?"