Apartment Wars (AU)

By: almostafantasia

The news that Clarke gets upon arrival at the real estate office, while probably not as disastrously tragic as she makes it out to be, feels like she's just had her heart ripped out from her chest by the clawed hand of Satan himself.

"We lost the apartment," Clarke announces to Raven mournfully, as if Raven hadn't been standing right beside her when the real estate agent gave them the bad news. "Some other bitch signed it earlier today."

Raven's eyes flicker up briefly, giving Clarke a look, then her gaze returns to the phone in her hands, her thumbs dancing with effortless ease across the screen as she taps out a message.

"There are other apartments," Raven replies indifferently.

"But this was my dream apartment," whines Clarke.

"Half an hour ago you were telling me how you weren't sure if we should take it or not," Raven scoffs, finally slipping her phone back into the pocket of her jacket and leaning on the polished marble counter of the reception desk with her elbows.

"It was within our budget and only a little bit shitty," Clarke reminds her, while her insides make an unsettling dip at the realisation that they're going to have to start viewing some more apartments as they hunt for the perfect place for when they graduate collage in just a few weeks' time.

The receptionist stares wide-eyed at their polar opposite reactions to the news that the two bedroom apartment they've had their eye on has been snatched from their grasp by another person.

"We'll find somewhere else," Raven tells Clarke. "Somewhere even less shitty and maybe only a tiny bit out of our budget."

"I can find some information about other apartments similar to that one if you like," suggests the receptionist.

As Raven nods and enters a discussion with the woman behind the desk, Clarke's attention is drawn to the previously unnoticed girl standing to her left, a thick pile of official looking paperwork on the counter in front of her and a pen in her hand.

"I'm sorry you didn't get the apartment," she says to Clarke, lifting a hand up to tuck her sweeping brown hair behind her ear so that it tumbles over her shoulder instead of obstructing the side of her face.

"Wait, who are you?" Clarke frowns across at her.

"I'm 'some other bitch'," she tells Clarke, an amused expression on her face as she parrots Clarke's earlier words right back at her. "But you can call me Lexa."

Clarke only lets herself blush for a couple of seconds at the realisation that Lexa has been eavesdropping on her complaints about the loss of the apartment, her frustration quickly taking over to dispel all other emotions as she becomes aware of just how small of a margin they missed out on this apartment.

"You're the one who stole our apartment," she gasps, a bitter contempt starting to bubble up deep inside her, the tiniest hint of jealousy at what this girl has that Clarke so desperately wants.

"Stole?" scoffs Lexa. She gestures to the paperwork in her hand and continues, "I think it's more accurate to say that I simply signed the contract first."

Scowling, Clarke reaches across to one of the paper specifications that Raven has been given by the receptionist and says, "Are you sure you can't be persuaded to change your mind? Look, there's plenty of other places to live. How about this two-bed in..." Clarke pauses and frowns as she glances down at the paper in the hand, skimming the information about that particular apartment. "No, you probably shouldn't live in that part of town. No wonder the rent on this place is so cheap."