The ice is getting thinner (AU)

By: amadgirlwithabox
Abby's POV
To say that today's been a hard day is an understatement, but it really is no different from any other day of the week. You woke up at 6am, you took a quick, cold shower, you had a coffee, you drove to the hospital, you worked for five hours straight before taking a break to eat a sandwich from the hospital cafeteria, along with another coffee. You worked until 3 pm, meaning your shift was already over.

But, of course, last minute surgeries kept happening and you gave up on demanding that your boss hired more surgeons long ago, choosing to work the extra hours. Not because you need the money, which you certainly don't, but because being at work takes your mind off of coming home to an empty bed, a cold dinner in the fridge, and a daughter who wants nothing to do with you. You are about to take your fourth cup of coffee when Jaha, who's just decided he wants to become friend of the year, cuts you off and sends you home threatening to tie you to a bed himself if you don't obey.

You've been working for more than fourteen hours now, so you don't find it in yourself to fight him.

The drive back home is silent, you never turn on any music and tonight is no exception.

(You think that maybe the silence is kind of a punishment.)

You're not in the mood to have dinner but the doctor in you tells you that you're eating habits are unhealthy enough as they are, and so you force yourself to look inside the fridge for something edible. There is a box of leftover pizza and you think you really should have a talk with Clarke because her eating habits aren't that much better than yours, but you feel as if you lost any right to parent your daughter the minute you stopped acting like a mother.

You don't bother to heat the slices of pizza, you eat them cold and make an effort to swallow.

It's only when you decide it's time for you to go to bed that you realise you hadn't even turned the lights on.

(The stairs are hard to climb, and with each step you feel how weary you really are.)

You hesitate before going into your room. It's a cold night and Clarke always rolled over while sleeping when she was a kid. You want to make sure that your daughter has a good blanket wrapped properly around her body so that she doesn't get cold in her sleep.

You open the door of her bedroom carefully so as not to wake her and you take a peek inside, something your eyes have no struggle with since Clarke has always like to sleep with the curtains open and that makes it easy for the street light to light up the room a little bit.

But instead of your daughter in her bed, you find two silhouettes, one of them Clarke's, the other the body of a complete stranger.

A complete stranger who's in your daughter's bed, naked.

With your daughter, naked.

The stranger is a girl, a naked girl.

A girl who has her bare arm wrapped around your daughter's bare stomach and her head on the crook of your daughter's neck.

A girl who is laying on your daughter's bed, holding her.

Naked.

Your heart is beating faster that it has in a while. You think that maybe is your lack of sleep that is making you see things. But the image before you is real.

You've also noticed all the clothes covering the floor, which were probably thrown away wildly at some point during the night.

A chill runs through your spine when you take another look at the pair in the bed. Despite the February weather, the blanket only covers them up the waist.