Five times Lexa fell for Clarke (AU)

By: nutmeg101
They are six years old when they meet for the first time.

It's the first day of the first grade and Lexa stands in the crowded schoolyard looking scared and lost. One hand is white knuckled around her lunch box; the other is at her side, loosely picking at a backpack strap. She recognizes Monty and Jasper from last year's kindergarten class in the distance playing on the playground, but neither seems to notice her and she's far too shy to trek through the hoards of older kids.

The school bell rings, loud and shrill, and everyone scatters towards the doors. Everyone but Lexa. She's partly frozen on the spot, not really sure where to go and her heart sinks when she looses sight of Monty and Jasper.

She's nothing but nerves and the threat of tears, but she won't show it. Her jaw is tight, her back much too stiff for the likes a six year old, and her gaze is steady at nothing in particular. That is, until she feels a presence sidle up to her.

"Are you lost?" a gentle voice says and Lexa turns to follow it.

Lexa is small, but the girl she finds standing next to her is even smaller. She's all blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and a denim skirt covered with what looks like iron on flower patches. Lexa might recognize her from a different kindergarten class, but doesn't know her name.

Lexa shakes her head turning her gaze away, but the girl next to her doesn't move.

"You look lost," the girl tries again.

"I'm not lost," Lexa says softly but firmly. There's a hint of a waver in her voice. She is lost though, completely. She's never been on this side of the school before and when her mom had told her there'd be a lot of bigger kids, she was not expecting this, not expecting to feel like she might get trampled or swallowed at any given second.

The girl takes a step in front of Lexa, but Lexa looks past her. "Okay," the girl says shrugging. She waits a moment before turning on her heels but only makes it about three steps.

"No, wait," Lexa calls out, closing the distance. She looks at the girl sheepishly. "I'm...lost," she says, quieter this time.

The girl smiles, eyes lighting up like she has been waiting to help Lexa. "Who is your teacher?" she asks.

"Um, Ms. Indra, I think."

"Hey! Mine too!" The girl squeals, practically jumping on the spot. "Come on," she says, grabbing Lexa by the hand and leading her towards the doors.

Lexa follows, but pulls her hand out of the girl's. The girl stops, turns around, and half pouts.

"I don't bite," she says, re-extending her hand. Lexa eyes it apprehensively and eventually takes it when she hears the rush of kids coming from behind her. "I'm Clarke, by the way," the girl finally says when they're inside in the school. "You're Lexa right?"

"How did you know?" Lexa says, following Clarke closely, eyes sizing up her surroundings.

"You know Monty and Jasper. They're my friends too."

"Oh," Lexa nods. "Yeah, I'm Lexa." She smiles for the first time all morning.

They're in a maze of hallways, loud noises, and big people and it's actually Clarke who tries to let go of Lexa's hand first, but Lexa clings tightly. Her heart isn't beating as quickly as it was a few minutes ago, and she doesn't feel like slipping through the fence in the schoolyard and running home to her mom and dog anymore.