Love Knows No Bounds

By: OnceUponACaskett
By the time they reached the village, devastation had already taken hold. Word had reached the Commander while she was visiting Tondc about a raiding party of rogue Ice Nation criminals who were destroying a small nearby village. Immediately, she'd sprung into action, calling for as many warriors as could be spared to ready their horses. They'd raced as quickly as possible to give aid, but it was useless. The raiding party was gone and the village was ravaged.

Lexa was no stranger to death. She'd been training and learning how to fight since the age of two. However, she had to hold back the urge to release the contents of her stomach at the sight before her. Several huts were on fire, the smoke billowing where windows and doors should be. The criminals had left not a single person alive, their bodies littering the ground. No one had been spared: men, women, children, elders. It was truly horrifying.

"Oh my god," Clarke whispered, her eyes just barely holding back tears. The blonde had insisted on coming with Lexa, her reasoning being that she could fight if she had to, but her skills as a healer might be needed as well. The Commander had always found it difficult to say no to her wife, but no matter the potential danger for this particular situation, Clarke had actually made a lot of sense.

Lexa swallowed down a very large lump in her throat. Turning to her warriors, all of whom had grim expressions, she pointed to several of them and said, "Find the raiders who did this. Find where their trail starts and follow them. Bring them back to me alive, if you can. They must pay fully for their crimes."

"Sha, Heda," the men responded before setting off after their quarry.

"The rest of you spread out," she continued. "Search the village for any survivors. There is a river not too far from here. Bring back water to help put these fires out, but be wary of your surroundings and keep your eyes open."

"How could anyone do something like this?" Clarke wondered.

"You know the ruthlessness of the Ice Nation all too well, Clarke," Lexa said. "Ice Nation rogues are a different kind of brutality altogether. They serve no one but themselves, usually having been banished from their homes. They answer to no one. But I assure you, Clarke, those responsible for this will pay with their lives."

"Good."

"Come," Lexa urged, walking towards a hut. "We must aid the search."

Clarke was about to follow right behind her when she stopped, her back stiffening as she tried to listen closely. "Lexa, wait!"

The Commander halted in her tracks and spun around at the urgent sound in the other girl's voice. "What is it?"

"Did you hear that?"

Lexa concentrated on sharpening her hearing. After a moment, she said, "I hear nothing."

Clarke frowned. Maybe she had been hearing things. She shook her head, about to disregard her comment when she heard the noise once more. "Wait! I hear it again."

"Clarke, there is nothing—"

But she ignored her. Clarke knew what that sound was and she needed to find the source of it instantly. She roamed around until she could finally pin-point its location. The hut it was coming from had collapsed and it was buried underneath debris.

"Clarke!" Lexa shouted, wondering why the blonde had begun to furiously dig through a broken home. It all became clear when she watched her bend down to pick something up before turning around, a crying baby in her arms. Lexa was immediately by her side, staring down at the child.

"It's okay, little guy," Clarke soothed, gently rocking the baby. "Shhh, you're safe now." The baby boy eventually quieted his screams as he fell asleep in Clarke's warm embrace, a tiny hand fisting the front of her shirt.