Solar Flare

By: Paigemccullers
The twig snaps loudly beneath her boot.

Clarke looks down, as if she's just trodden on a buried mine. Lexa spins around, eyes wide and angry. Clarke hears foreign battle cries before she has a second to think. Lexa's warriors draw their weapons.

The Commander growls low in her throat, she glares at Clarke and takes the steps necessary to close the gap between them. She grabs a handful of Clarke's jacket and hurls her up against a tree.

She seethes quietly, takes in short breaths between clenched teeth. Clarke gulps down her panic and opens her mouth to speak.

"I'm sorry." She breathes out shakily. Lexa stares at her a little longer, some kind of somber look flickers behind her eyes before she shoves Clarke's back into the tree with a little more force than needs be.

"Stay here." She draws her sword. "Hide." Clarke swears she sees Lexa's gaze soften the second before she turns to run into battle but she can't be sure. She wants to call after Lexa, to tell her that she can fight, because she can, her finger's automatically clasp around the cool metal of the gun at her hip.

But for whatever reason, she does what she's told. She stays. She hides.

She glares at the twig.

-

The walk back to camp is uncomfortable to say the least. Lexa looks anywhere but at Clarke, they didn't lose any men in the battle but they could've done without it. They're two hours late and it's dark before they reach the Commander's tent.

Lexa turns to Clarke finally.

"Go home, Clarke." She turns and enters her tent without another word. Indra moves to follow the Commander, staring Clarke down every second of the way.

"What did you do?" Octavia grabs Clarke's wrist and drags her away from the guards. Clarke huffs and puts a hand to her forehead.

"I wasn't looking where I was going, I just-" Clarke's frustrated, because really, all she did was stand on a damn twig.

Yes, okay, said twig gave away their position and started a minor league war, but she didn't mean to, it's not like she's going to police every step she takes. Octavia shushes her before she has chance to say anything else. The warrior tugs at her wrist again, pulling them closer to the side of Lexa's tent. Clarke listens as Indra and Lexa argue in words she doesn't understand. Their voices are hushed but sharp, Indra's insistent but Lexa's defensive.

"They're talking about you." Octavia narrows her eyes as if that'll help her hear any better. Clarke stays silent and waits for more. "Indra doesn't want you near the Commander anymore." Octavia speaks over her shoulder.

It's not exactly brand new information, but her stomach drops anyway.

"I'm going to bed." She murmurs then tugs her wrist from Octavia's grasp and walks away.

-

"Clarke." She jolts awake and sits bolt upright. Her head swims with a sleep that she'd only just fallen into. The world's bright outside and Clarke has to squint to stop the sunlight from blinding her. She sees Lexa standing at the foot of her bed, she looks the same, only, there's less war paint on her face and less armor covering her body. Clarke thinks this is as close to casual as she'll ever see the Commander.

"Lexa?" Clarke's voice comes out dry and quiet.

"Get dressed, we're leaving." Lexa nods and exits the tent abruptly. Clarke wants nothing more than to go back to sleep, to forget about the war, forget about the people she has to protect, to forget about Lexa. But Clarke knows she shouldn't keep the other girl waiting. So she does what she's told and meets Lexa outside her tent. There's a guard at each of her shoulders.