39 - Worth It

Mulai dari awal

"Clay wants to know what decision the Mayans will make."

The fact dat he only mentioned Clay's name, showed Raine that Jax was neither supportive of Clay's action. It made him relax a little. About what decision were they talking? Should he play along to figure out what was going on? No, he decided to be honest.

"I have no idea what kind of decision you mean. Like I just told you: my brothers don't trust me anymore. You really think they tell me something that could end up at your table? If you want to know what decision my club makes, I suggest you call Alvarez. Openness provides answers." With squinted eyes, he looked at Clay. "Sneakiness doesn't."

The man snorted in contempt. Nevertheless, he seemed to be unable to come with a reply. Raine wasn't in the mood to stay longer. He had his say. He doubted it would keep Clay from pulling this another time, but hopefully he realized that the Mayans would keep Raine in dark about matters in which the Sons were involved. 

Juice's fingers laced with his. He might have been silent the whole time, but this gesture was even so a statement. No Son or Mayan would ever come between them. Turning his head aside, he looked his boyfriend in the eye and squeezed his hand. 

"Yeah, let's go."

They'd lost enough time due to club bullshit. There was always something shortening their time. Hand in hand, they left the clubhouse. Juice's gaze was beaten down, although he was holding Raine's hand firmly. It wasn't easy. They did have each other, but most of their time they were standing all by themselves in their clubs. Choosing each other, meant choosing against the others. So much was clear. Raine had never regretted their relationship, but fun was different. They felt displaced in a place that used to mean everything to them. They both had the feeling they no longer belonged in their clubs and yet they couldn't simply detach themselves from their old lives.

Raine grabbed the handlebars and swung his leg over his Harley. After climbing on the back, Juice placed his hands on his hips. Raine looked over his shoulder, leaning back until his back leaned against Juice's chest and he gave him a long, slow kiss. After the kiss, he searched for his eyes and offered him a smile. His hand glided across the side of Juice's leg and he squeezed his knee. Letting go of him, Raine put on his helmet as Juice wrapped his arms tighter around him. 

Raine didn't return to Juice's home. He enjoyed the embrace of his boyfriend too much and he had the feeling that a ride would help them both to give their sorrows to the wind. It didn't take long before he left Charming behind and pulled up on the highway. Juice had never been on the back of his bike and although the reason for it was painful — assault by his brothers — sitting so close created an intimacy they both craved for. It felt as if the adrenaline that was rushing through their veins flew together, making their hearts beat as one.

Yet, he stuck to a short ride, knowing Juice's body needed to relax. Turning into a small road, he rode up the hill until there was a beautiful view. Juice groaned as he slipped off the bike. Guilt pooled in his stomach; had he driven too far? As he turned toward his friend, Juice quickly forced a smile on his lips that made him look exhausted. 

Locking his bike, Raine put the key in his pocket. "You feel stiff?" he asked. "You wanna go for a walk or sit?"

"Walk," Juice muttered. "Feel like I've been sitting all day."

"Okay."

With laced fingers they walked up the hill at a leisurely pace. The wind rustled through the trees and far behind them sounded the roar of traffic, but apart from that it was silent around hem. Raine realized they had never taken a walk before. They knew each other for months and yet they had barely done things together. It felt like they were only dealing with club shit. He thought back to the festival they had gone to a few weeks ago, on the day that they had decided to give their love a chance. Raine had liked it — and yet, their life was so hectic they hadn't done it more often. He was going to change that. Soon, they would go out and do something nice. Juice and him together, and with Juice and Sasha as a family. 

"What's on your mind?" Juice asked quietly. "That deal?"

The deal Jax mentioned. If both clubs had to make a deal with a third party, it was obviously the organization who was behind the kidnappings. He didn't give a shit about a deal. All he wanted, was leaving this life behind without his loved ones getting hurt.

"No," he answered. "The club is wasting more than enough of my time." He brushed his thumb across Juice's. "I thought of something nice. You'll find out soon enough." Leaning towards Juice, he kissed his jaw. 

A smile crossed his face. The sight of it awoke a swarm of butterflies in his stomach and he stood still, turned towards his boyfriend and softly pressed his lips against Juice's. Shutting his eyes, he surrendered to a kiss that made him forget about everything. He tasted and felt nothing but love; a love healing wounds that had been caused by that same love. 

It was worth it. Every tear, every scar, every insult. 

He was all worth it.