12 - Medieval Times

At first, Raine was tempted to simply not open the door. Through the window however, he noticed that his friend had seen the Reaper on Juice's Harley, for he pulled his gun. He wouldn't leave before he had seen someone.

He stepped away from the window. Juice had jumped up, his breathing went fast, announcing a panic attack. By reflex, Raine laid a hand against his lower back.

"Hey, I got this. Don't panic. Go upstairs and turn on the shower; I'll tell him there's some hot chick waitin' for me."

"Wouldn't he want to see her?" Juice asked in a tiny voice.

"I don't care what he wants. I'll talk myself out of this." He searched for Juice's eyes, which were wide in panic. "I got this," he stressed. "Wait upstairs until I get you, okay?"

On a whim, he pressed his lips against Juice's, then he gently pushed him towards the stairs. His mouth was tingling and a blush crept to his cheeks, as he realized he had kissed the man right before his sister's eyes.

Juice ran up the stairs, at the same moment the door bell rung. His eyes shot to Rosa, who answered his glance in surprise.

"Esai can't know," he told her. "That I'm friends with a Son."

"Friends, huh?" she asked with a slight smirk.

"Knowing that I'm in love with him will only make things worse," he added.

He was shocked by his own words. Quickly, he headed to the hallway, while he tried to shake off all his chaotic thoughts. Was he really in love? A few days ago he had been doubting it; he thought that it was just curiosity or a longing to some close friendship... but was he in love?

It didn't matter. Not now. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door.

"Hey..." His glance slid across his friend's face and rested upon the gun. "What's that for?"

Esai looked past him. "Is there a Son inside? I swear to god – if they're threatening Rosa..." He began to walk past him, but Raine stopped him by pushing a hand against his chest.

"It's not what you think. Rosa isn't in danger – and you know she hates weapons."

"Then what is that bike doin' there?" Suspiciously, Esai looked him in the eye. "You act fuckin' weird."

"Skye took it. The girl I'm dating. Her car was actin' up, so she borrowed her boyfriend's bike."

Esai's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. "What the hell? You fuck a Son's old lady?" He started to laugh. "Fuck, this is hilarious."

Raine relaxed a little. He leaned against the doorway. "That's why it's all so mysterious. They've been together for a while now, she wanted something else... but she's not sure she wants to break up with him." He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't mind. I like the tension."

Esai's glance slid back to the bike. "Who's her boyfriend?"

"I think his name is Juice."

Esai chuckled. "Yeah – I'm not surprised. Always found him a pussy. If he doesn't know that his girl is gettin' banged by someone else, he's even more stupid than I thought. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a faggot. No wonder he can't keep his girl satisfied."

Raine's jaw tensed. If he'd felt guilty about lying to his friend's face, the feeling was gone now. His fingers clenched into a fist, but Esai was too self-inflicted at his conclusion to notice.

He walked past Raine and headed for the living room.

"She's showerin'," Raine said. "She came right after work. She's working with weak-minded people – she always wants to shower because she's covered in saliva or somethin'."