60 - Family First

The two-banded ring—made of black and scratched silver—was more than the run-up to a promise of undying loyalty and unconditional love. It was a promise of a life without bloodshed, without suspicion—the promise of a life in which he could be who he wanted to be and openly love the one he loved. 

The jewel was a constant reminder of the promise that this life—in which he didn't fit in anymore—was temporary and would eventually go by. That was also the reason he wore the ring when he was at the club. At first, he'd hesitated—he wasn't in the mood for the degrading comments of the others. It was no shame, but why seek out the pain? Now, however, it felt like support—it was a reminder of the fact that he wasn't alone. Every time he looked at his hand, the image of Juice crossed his mind, on one knee, fumbling nervously with the jewelry box. Then, a warm storm would rage through his body, dragging butterflies along. 

The comments hadn't been that bad. Phantom had hit him on the shoulder amicably and also Alvarez—who felt a little like a godfather—had mustered up the courtesy to congratulate him. The others hadn't said much and Raine suspected the club president of ordering them to leave him alone. 

Raine tried to give it not too much thought, but it was still painful. Back in the day, an engagement had been an obvious reason for a crazy party, and he would have an unforgettable bachelor party. Now, he was just glad they weren't mocking him.  He sighed. So be it.

Shaking off the thoughts, Raine returned his attention to the brake pipe he needed to fix. Soon, his work absorbed all his attention. 

It was Esai who distracted him again. "Is your phone off?"

The presence of his former best friend made his shoulders tense. They hadn't spoken since the truth came out and Raine didn't feel the need to do it now. He just wanted to make it through until he could leave the club and thereafter, he didn't plan to see that asshole ever again. 

"Why?" 

"Sammy called me—and she ain't a big fan of me lately."

There was an accusing tone in his voice, making Raine clench his jaw. Sammy and Esai had sometimes been a little too close to his liking—although he'd always believed Esai would never try something, which he doubted since he drugged him—but it was absolutely Esai's own fault that Sammy was mad at him.

Raine stood up, annoyed because Esai didn't start talking right away. "Well? I'm sure she didn't call you to tell you she misses you."

Esai rolled his eyes. "It was about some guy—I didn't really get it. She's at the petting zoo and there was some prick in a suit talking to Sasha and I guess you know him."

Was it Timothy? The guy from the playground? 

They'd informed Sammy about him too. Alarmed, he pulled his phone out of his pocket. Dead. "Shit. Gimme your phone."

"Oh, and now—"

"Give me your fucking phone!"

Esai glared at him for interrupting him but handed Raine his phone. Immediately, Raine called his sister. 

"Is he still there?" he asked, the moment she took the call. 

"Yes, but at a distance." Her voice sounded tense. 

"Stay around other people. I'm on my way."

There was a pang in his stomach. The thought that his sister or his foster daughter would be shoved into a dark van...

"Where are you?"

Sammy gave him the address and without returning the phone to Esai, Raine stormed towards the exit.