Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Tom, I'm going to be honest with you." Esther told him.

Tom's eyes widened as he took a deep breath, waiting for Esther to continue. Jamie and Cory gave each other a knowing look as Esther leaned forward in her seat across from Tom.

"I do hate how you've treated Alice this past few months from what she's told me. It was horrible of you. However, I know how much you care about her. I know you love her and want nothing but the best for her... and I admire that. Despite everything that's happened today, I still hope you consider the possibility of a separation being a good idea."

"Separation?" Jamie's eyes widened.

"What are you talking about?" Cory added.

"When I spoke with Alice, we agreed that her spending time away from you to make you realize that you'd be losing a good woman was a good idea. With what she told me, we thought it best for her to leave so that you could truly see the error of your ways."

"And I've seen them. I've always known about them. I just... I never wanted her to ever leave me," Tom argued. "She's not just a good woman. Alice is the most incredible woman in this world and I was so stupid to think she was anything less."

At that moment, Michelle walked into the waiting room and Tom quickly stood to his feet. She looked over the group and greeted them all one by one with a handshake. She then directed her attention towards Tom and sighed.

"So... what's happened?" He asked.

"We have transferred your daughter to the NICU. Given that Alice was seven and half months along, most of the concerns we have are with her lungs and weight. You can see her shortly. I'll have a nurse come by and escort you to her." Michelle replied.

"And Alice? Tell me she's okay."

Michelle took a deep breath before smiling brightly.

"Alice is stable and doing well."

Tom let out a sigh of relief as he felt his legs give out. Cory was quick to catch him as all the others expressed their excitement at the news.

"When can I see her? When can we all see her?" Tom asked.

"She's being administered a blood transfusion at the moment which will take a few hours to complete. I'd much rather she be visited by you all when it has been completed and she is fully awake and alert." Michelle told him.

"But I can see our daughter?"

"Yes. I'll have a nurse come by shortly to take you to her. If you'd like, you can take one other person."

Michelle then left the area and everyone sat back down in their seats. Tom couldn't stop himself from smiling as he wiped his tears away.

"Oh, god, I feel like a fool." Tom chuckled.

As the others were talking, Tom stepped to the side and called Diana to update her on their situation.

"What's happened, Tom? Are you all alright?"

"Yes, mum, we're good. Alice had to have a c-section and we ran into some complications, but she's good now. She lost some blood so she's having a blood transfusion and our daughter is in the NICU. You can come tomorrow with the kids to see us." Tom told her.

"Would you like to talk to them?"

"Yes! Put them on!" Tom beamed.

He leaned against the wall of the waiting room and did his best to hold back his tears hearing Daniel and Emma speaking over the other through the phone.