Chapter 26

Seokjin POV

The next few moments felt like a blur.

I had tried to get her to stay awake, but she ended up shutting her eyes in the ambulance.

Her blood pressure was dropping fast and her breaths were getting slower even with the oxygen mask.

When we got to the hospital, all the paramedics were shouting different medical terms at each other as they raced her into the ER.

This felt all too familiar.

The worst kind of déja vu.

I felt helpless as they wheeled her away.

Memories of a similar situation with Sunee flooded into my head and overwhelmed me.

"No, it'll be different. Cheonsa promised me," I choked.

Tears blurred my vision as I fell to the floor in desperation.

I didn't care about my aching arm, or whether or not Minchul was alive, or anything really.

"Fight, angel. Survive for me. Please," I begged.

Please make your promise be real and not some meaningless lie.

Keep her safe Jisol.

Please.

Time Skip

I wasn't sure how long it had been but others had begun arriving to check in on her.

Some other officers, analysts, and even Chief Gu had come.

"How is she?" He asked me as he sat beside me.

"She's been in surgery for the past few hours. I'm not sure how long it's been but it was pretty bad. There was a lot of blood," I sighed.

Chief Gu coughed, "I can see. Which reminds me, I brought you some spare clothes. I figured you might need it."

He handed me some fresh clothes.

"Thanks Chief. I'll go change," I huffed.

I probably looked like an emotionless shell because I sure as hell felt like one.

Nothing mattered until I could find out if Cheonsa was alright.

I changed into the clothes and washed myself up to get all the blood and whatnot off of me.

I stared disdainfully at my injury. If I didn't have it, maybe I could've helped her. She wouldn't have gotten hurt if I wasn't handicapped.

I sadly trudged back to the waiting area and plopped down in the seat. I knew better than anyone that all I could do was wait. But it was killing me.

I wanted to run in and hug her and kiss her.

I wanted to love her without worrying if she was going to be alive or not.

Chief Gu patted my back comfortingly.

"I know it's not worth anything compared to knowing that Hwang is alive but I can say that Minchul survived and is getting treatment. By the end of the week, he'll be in a jail cell with his sister. And then we can put them away for good. You did that Kim. You got four families justice for their children," Chief Gu said.

"No. I didn't do that alone. If Cheonsa hadn't been there, I wouldn't have been able to solve the case. People should be thanking her, but they can't because she got hurt. And that's my fault," I cried helplessly.

"Don't start that again Kim. You know you don't have control over your partners and their choices," Chief Gu scolded.

"Yeah, but it sucks like ass because every time someone gets hurt, it's someone I love. I love Cheonsa for god's sakes. And I loved Sunee. And yet both of them ended up in similar situations. Maybe I'm bad luck. Maybe I should stop loving," I rambled.

Chief Gu placed a tentative hand on my good shoulder.

"Seokjin, stop with the blame game. You know better than anyone that this field of work isn't based on luck. You choose people to love who would do as much for you as you would do for them. But you need to listen to me and remain hopeful. Cheonsa is a fighter like no other. That girl came from Busan and rocked Seoul's world. You call her an angel don't you? Trust that she will keep up that expectation now and long after."

I sighed, Chief Gu's words weighing on my mind.

You have to be fine Cheonsa. You just have to.

I was about to settle in for the night when a doctor came out to talk to us.

"Is Miss Hwang's family here?" The doctor asked.

I bit my lip, remembering the whole deal with Jisol and whatnot.

"She's an orphan. But I'm her boyfriend. How is she?" I asked.

The doctor sighed, "She's stable..."

"But?"

"But...she slipped into a coma."

It felt like my whole world was spinning. I let this happen to her. I didn't do more. I-

No. I have to stop blaming myself. It's not helping her.

I wiped a few tears out of my eyes and squared my shoulders, "May I go see her?"

"Yes. But be quiet."

The doctor led me to her room. I thought my heart was going to stop at the sight of her.

She was hooked up to all kinds of machines and there were needles and clips all over her body.

One machine in particular caught my attention.

"Life support? I thought you said she was stable?" My voice cracked.

"She lost a lot of blood. Her wound was near a blood vessel so this is just an extra precaution," the doctor explained.

The doctor left, giving me some privacy with Cheonsa.

I sat beside her, taking her pale hand in mine.

Her soft breaths fogged up the oxygen mask but indicated that she was doing fine for now.

This was progress. At least she was still fighting and alive.

I caressed her hand, just staring at her lovely face.

"Cheonsa, from the first day you walked into the office, I knew you were different. Maybe I pushed you away and froze you out, but I still deep down knew how different you were. Sure you were pretty, but there was something else. Something so unbelievably ethereal and seraphic. I don't even know how to explain it, but it's like you were the universe's biggest wonder of humankind. You told me you would never leave my side. I hope you keep that promise. And if you do, I swear on my life I'll protect you with every fiber of my being. I'll make sure you never doubt my feelings for you and that you feel loved and cared for and safe. I'll tell you dad's jokes to bring a smile to your face and I'll ever start cooking for you. I want to see your beautiful face looking lively again. I want to see you living your best life. You've been really struggling lately because of all that has happened. But I want you to know and to realize how much of your life you own. Jisol is but one phenomenon about you, but what makes you who you are is your individuality and your spark. My Cheonsa is brilliant and solves problems in the most unique ways. My Cheonsa is the one who rushes into situations to save others and protect those she loves. My Cheonsa is the one who steals kisses from me when she's in need of a recharge or vice versa. And there's so much of you left to learn. Together, you and me, we'll find out who you are. Not who Jisol is. Because you're Hwang Cheonsa. I hope you can hear me. I know I call you my fallen angel, but you have to come back. Don't go back up there. Stay fallen. Please. Don't leave me."