Chapter 21

Only a few more hours and then I could go see Seokjin.

The newfound love didn't constitute that I could get out of work, so I had to go to the station and work my normal hours but then I usually spent the night with Seokjin at the hospital.

I ran my hair frustratedly through my hair as the tech team explained that there was nothing on either phone.

"And you're sure that the phone wasn't wiped?"

"We checked. Everything that was wiped had no relevance whatsoever."

I groaned. We were at a standstill with everything. The car and neither of them had popped up anywhere. There were no charges to their credit cards which we had gotten access to. There wasn't any evidence of them checking into a hospital or trying to leave the country. They weren't showing up on traffic cams. And they hadn't attempted to show up at any of the houses or their workplaces.

It was like they had completely disappeared off the face of the world.

I rubbed my face exasperatedly.

"Okay. Thanks, I guess. Keep an eye out if there's a charge to the card or we get a hit on the burner phone."

"What about their parents? They keep calling."

I sighed. The Choi's had been calling the station constantly ever since we told them about their children being suspects in the murders. At first, they refused to believe it. But when we laid out the facts, it became a matter of worry. Minchul and Misun couldn't contact them because we were also monitoring incoming and outgoing calls from them.

I headed back to my office, flopping onto my spinny chair.

I slightly winced because the force of my body rattled my arm and I still had that gash from the bullet grazing me. I had gotten some ointment for it, but I decided to keep it open to let it heal naturally.

I wheeled myself to the board where we had all the information about the case. I studied each line and read each sentence of Seokjin's notes.

We were right on top of them. Something told me that once we had gotten our hands on the gun, we'd have this case in the bag. We could already prove it belonged to Minchul and with our luck, hopefully we'd have fingerprints on it, and maybe some blood splatter.

There was a soft knock on my door.

"Detective Hwang, Hwang Jisol's brother is here to see you," an officer said.

I cocked an eyebrow, "Oh? Alright, send him in."

Jisol was starting to freak out inside of me, but I reminded her that if she was able to keep her cool around Minchul, she could do it around her brother.

Jibeom came into the office with little San in his arms.

"Jisol!" San squealed.

Jibeom sighed, "Bud, I told you her name is Cheonsa."

I held San in my arms.

"Aww that's okay. I can be aunty Jisol," I cooed.

San nuzzled himself in my embrace and began blabbering about some new toy his dad was going to buy.

Once he had properly talked my ear off, I turned to Jibeom.

"So what can I do for you? I'm sorry Seokjin isn't around for your visit."

He smiled, "Oh that's alright. I really just came to check up on you. I mean what happened has been all over the news. You're making quite the headline as the brainiac newbie. But I imagine you're probably not in a good headspace right now."