Chapter 22

Been thinking about that part of bang bang con when JK was getting sleepy so Jimin called Jin over and he came and put a pillow out for JK as he flopped over and then how the little chibi version of him curled up. That's some serotonin for you right there.

Seokjin POV

"What sound does a cow make when it laughs?"

Cheonsa groaned as she helped me into the station.

"Moohaha!" I exclaimed, laughing at my amazing joke.

She groaned even louder, "Where do you even learn this stuff?"

I smirked playfully, "I have my ways."

When we got inside the station, I was met with lots of applause and cheers.

People congratulated me for being back and others made sure I was okay. Chief Gu had come too just to make sure that I was okay.

Cheonsa helped me to our office and sat me down on my chair with a loud exhale. Despite my protests, she insisted that she helps me around so that I don't accidentally hurt myself and open up the wound.

"Sheesh, you gotta stop working out so much. Too much muscle mass," she heaved.

I chuckled, watching her as she cutely flopped into her chair.

"Can't, angel. If I do, then how am I going to be the most handsome guy for my girlfriend?" I asked.

Her face adorably turned red as she fumbled over her words.

Seeing her genuinely like this made me happy and it made me fuzzy.

Of course Sunee would always have a special place in my heart. It wasn't like we broke up or anything. She would always be someone I loved dearly. But I think it was high time that I moved on from the past. I couldn't wallow in pity and regret forever. And I certainly couldn't let my angel escape from my grasp that easily.

I shook myself out of my daze and tried to refocus on the work. I hadn't been here in a while but she had caught me up everything pretty well.

The next sound out of her mouth was an irritated groan. Her lips were slightly parted and her eyes were strained against the light of her computer.

"Still nothing?" I asked.

She shook her head, "How could we still be in a standstill? Nothing has been charged to their credit cards, they haven't tried contacting their parents, and they haven't even shown up on any sort of camera. I'm starting to think they might've left the country or something."

"But aren't they on a no-fly list?" I questioned.

"Maybe they wore disguises and got fake ID's and passports," she huffed.

"They're murders, but they don't seem like the socially outward people where they'd have connections with someone like that," I argued.

She rubbed her eyes tiredly, "I'll test any theory at this point."

I felt bad because I knew she had been staying up late. When I was in the hospital, she'd visit me right at the end of the day and stay with me almost all night. Usually, I'd sleep but every so often, I'd wake up and see her sitting beside me either working or reading. I felt bad that she was so worried that she would sit there indefinitely. Then at some odd hour, she'd go home to shower and change and come back for a one or two-hour nap before spending the early morning with me until her shift.

This case was getting to her. I could see it in her red-rimmed eyes.

"Angel, take a break. You've done all the work for a while, let me take over. Why don't you take a nap?" I suggested.

She shook her head tiredly, but when her head drooped, I could tell she was considering it.

She sighed, "Fine. Wake me up in three hours."

I watched as she happily laid on the floor and curled up.

She looked so cute. If my arm wasn't messed up, I might've snuggled up next to her.

My heart melted at the sight of her peacefully falling asleep, looking totally ethereal as she slept.

She had to be a real-life angel. Everything about her was seraphic and heavenly.

"Sleep well, my fallen angel."

Time Skip

A knock at the door pulled me from my daze and woke Cheonsa up.

She quickly got up and opened the door while rubbing her eyes tiredly.

"Detective Hwang, Detective Kim, you might want to answer line two. It's the Choi's," the officer said.

Cheonsa's eyes widened in urgency.

She stumbled over to her phone and answered it and put it on speaker so I could hear.

"Hello? Is this Detective Hwang and Kim?"

"Yes, Mister Choi! This is Detective Hwang. Has something happened?" She asked.

"O-our daughter, M-Misun, she just tried calling us. I didn't recognize the number but when I picked up, she was talking really hurriedly. She basically said she loved us and then hung up."

"Did she ever mention where she was?" I asked.

"No. We were hoping you could track the call."

Cheonsa chewed her bottom lip, "Yeah we can do that, but we might need your help."

"Anything. At this point, we just want to know she's safe. We can sort out if her actions actually happened later."

"Yeah. Okay, I need you both to stay on the line with me. I've got a plan," she gave me a firm nod.

Knowing what she needed, I paged the tech team and asked them to track the last call to Mister Choi's phone.

Sure enough, it was traced to a phone in the general area that we had already established. The phone was moving into a convenience store.

Time was of the essence and Cheonsa knew that.

Whatever Misun was doing, we didn't have much time to catch her and stop her, so we needed to act fast.

I got up and put on my coat, closely tracking Misun's cell through my phone. 

Cheonsa had transferred the call between her and the Choi's to her personal phone so that she could take it with us.

The two of us got into our car and sped off in the direction of where the phone was being tracked. It was still moving meaning it was still on a person. Hopefully, that person would be Misun.

Cheonsa gave me a firm nod as we drove.

This was it.

The breakthrough we needed.