Chapter 7

After this chapter, I might stop putting language warnings. I'll never use the f word or derogatory terms in this but words like "a**" and "b*tch" will be used and ofc they won't be bleeped out.

I had started my day off a little differently than normal. After checking in with Seokjin, I grabbed my gun that I had hidden in one of my desk drawers and decided to do a few practice rounds. For future need of course.

My hand wasn't very steady and so I had a lot of misfires when trying to get the target. I tried to copy the ways they did it in shows but it wasn't that easy. The kickback was jarring and even though I had mufflers on, I felt like I could hear the sound of it, and that petrified me.

So I was rather relieved when Seokjin tapped me on the back.

"What's up?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes, "I told Chief Gu about your idea to search the crime scenes again. I thought he'd let me go alone since I have experience on the field, but he insisted you come with me. So here I am. We're leaving in thirty minutes. And we're only searching the warehouses today. We can hit the river another time, but if there's any worthwhile evidence, it'll be in the places where it happened most recently."

I was excited and nervous all at once. My first field assignment. To think Seokjin tried to keep me from it, how rude.

"Also, bring your gun just in case," he said before heading back upstairs to the office.

I stared blankly at the death trap in my hands, my hands tightening around the grip of the gun. This deathtrap was only needed when necessary.

So I put the gun in the holster and took eager strides upstairs. The other officers and workers seemed to notice my excitement, as they stared wordlessly at me as I passed.

"I can see you all staring," I remarked, making them all turn back to their actual work.

Seokjin urgently pulled me into our office, motioning for me to go to him. He had a radio which he placed in my back jean pocket. The action was slightly jarring but he didn't do anything he shouldn't have so I wasn't gonna call him out on it.

He also silently pointed to a bulletproof vest.

I raised an eyebrow, "Seokjin, I don't think we're gonna run into any crazed people at the crime scene."

He wrinkled his nose, "Rookie. Are you dense? You wear this thing whenever we're out in public doing anything related to the case, do you understand? Otherwise, I will leave you here. This is dangerous stuff Cheonsa, and I will not sit around watching you get hurt because you weren't precautious."

And just like that, the walls that were protectively in front of him began to crack.

He turned around and closed his eyes while I quickly put the vest on under my clothes.

I tapped him signifying that I was done and ready to go. And so we went. I felt super cool in my outfit. I was a badass ready to kick some ass.

Seokjin led me to the garage where all the cars were kept. He took a sleek black car and skillfully showed his driving knowledge.

And with that, we were off. The ride was pretty silent except for the soft whistling of the wind.

When we got to the crime scene, I noticed how there were still a few police around just making sure no one entered the scenes, but it didn't seem like the shock and urgency over these girls' murders was a big thing anymore.

We were greeted by a serious-looking woman in an officer uniform.

"Well if it isn't Detective Kim," she smiled.

He returned the smile, "Long time no see Officer Seol."

So was I third-wheeling or something?

I got out of the car, observing the scene in front of me. No memory girl was at a crime scene to pretend like she knew what she was doing. Yet, I had a weird feeling about the entire area. I don't want to call it a connection, but for lack of better phrasing that's what it felt like.

My body suddenly felt like lead and I dropped to the floor, the world around me fading to a familiar white void.

Here again?

What was it this time?

Wait, last time I couldn't remember, so if I try now, maybe I'll remember.

"I'm...I'm...dammit. Wait, Hwang. Hwang something. Shit, what is my name?"

I wandered around aimlessly in the white void, looking for those specks again to see if they could lead me somewhere. But I couldn't find them.

Instead, I found three girls who looked extremely familiar.

Their skin was pasty white, yet it was so elegant and refined. Their gowns were similar to the ones I was wearing.

"Who are you?" I asked them.

"I'm Song Haewon."

"I'm Yoo Jaehwa."

"I'm Lee Yuri."

"I'm...not sure who I am. Do you know who I am?"

The girls looked at me blankly. Their eyes were dark with fear.

"Find them."

"Find them."

"Wake up and find them."

Seokjin POV

I was worried. I was talking to Officer Seol when I saw Cheonsa suddenly keel over.

Insane panic and dread rose in me.

"Cheonsa wake up. Come on, wake up Cheonsa, it's Seokjin," I spoke softly.

She stirred in my arms, bleary looking at me.

"Seokjin? What happened?" She groaned.

"You tell me. You just collapsed in front of us. Are you sure you're okay? Maybe you should go back to the station," I suggested.

But she was as stubborn as a mule and refused. She stood up and gently rocked on her feet to help her regain balance. I had to give her props for perseverance.

"I think I made a bad impression. But hi, I'm a new detective and Seokjin's partner. Detective Hwang Cheonsa," she said, extending her hand to Officer Seol.

She always seemed so sure of herself. Even if she'd made a fool of herself one second, she'd proudly own it and move on within seconds. She was very opinionated and bright and she thought outside of the box.

"Alright Kim, let's go check it out," she said, slightly tugging on my sleeve.

I found the action slightly cute, but I quickly stopped my thoughts.

Nope, not happening. Not again. Not after her. I had to avoid anything remotely endearing for fear of getting too attached.

"If you're feeling alright, we should check it out," I said.

She nodded firmly, but I noticed the way her body swayed with each step. Was she sick? Maybe she wasn't getting enough sleep. Not that I cared, but for the job, it was important to be at your peak physical condition always. 

I led the way, periodically checking on her and how she was doing.

She gave me a reassuring nod, taking big strides to convince me that she was alright. 

But she was a pretty bad liar. Or maybe I was just good at seeing when someone was pretending to be okay for my sake. And it made me sick to the stomach to think about. Once again, someone felt like they had to protect me. It's the same mistakes over and over again.

Dammit, Seokjin. Why can't you just stay out of it? You're not even responsible for them anyway.

Lies.

All lies.