Chapter 19

Nervous was the simplest term to describe how bad I wanted to piss myself.

So just imagine being nervous times a million. That was me.

I fixed my bulletproof vest on over my top and packed my holster with my gun, lots of ammo, my walkie talkie, and a tiny recording device so we could catch them in case they said anything incriminating.

Seokjin looked me up and down with a proud gaze, "Look at you. All dressed and ready for battle."

I cracked my neck, "That's one way of putting it."

The two of us headed into the chaos of the station to find the team of people that were helping us with this.

Seokjin addressed them confidently, "Alright so let's go over the plan one more time. When I call for you all on the radio I need you all to come. No matter what, you have to chase the suspects. Tech team, I need you to get into the street surveillance to keep tabs on them. I need another team on standby to track their cellphones in case we lose them. And finally, I'll need a team from evidence to come as well in case things like shell casings or DNA are found. Does everyone understand?"

"Yes Detective Kim!"

I couldn't help but stare at Seokjin in awe. The way he took control and led everyone was so attractive.

I felt a sly hand on my back.

"You're staring, angel," he winked at me.

I snapped out of my daze with a cherry red blush on my face. I was way too obvious.

And of course, Jisol had to laugh at that.

I was about to counter with something snarky but Chief Gu appeared right in front of us with an appraising look on his face.

We both bowed immediately, stopping the banter right away.

"I just came to wish you two good luck. The case has been coming along famously ever since you two started working together in ways I never could've imagine. I don't even know how you two figured some of this stuff out, but you did and I'm proud of you both. Be safe out there."

We bowed again and thanked him before heading out.

The drive was filled with uncertain tension. We weren't sure what we were walking into. The way Minchul worded his email was too formal for comfort. But we were ready with all the necessary precautions.

The address we were given, shocker, led us to an abandoned warehouse. There was an obvious pattern here.

As I stepped out of the car, a chill ran down my spine.

I felt myself instinctively stop to see if Jisol would say anything.

"Be careful Cheonsa. Something isn't right."

I bit my lip, "Will you be okay?"

"I have to be. Don't worry, I'll keep my cool this time. But please be careful okay?"

"Yeah sure."

Seokjin gave me a reassuring nod before leading me into the warehouse.

We had our guns drawn and decided to enter from the back entrance in case there was a trap waiting for us in the front.

It was silent except for the beating of our anxious hearts.

We had to check behind each wall to make sure no one was waiting to ambush us.

I think the anticipation was more scary than what actually would've happened. Not knowing who's going to come out from where and what artillery they'll have. That's what's terrifying.