Chapter 9

Happy 7 years to the boys that's totally changed my life. I'll love you all unconditionally and support you till the end and beyond. And ARMY thanks for being there for the boys too!

"Detective Kim! Detective Hwang!"

One of the officers burst into our office with a blank expression.

"The evidence was processed," the officer said.

I stood up from my desk, ignoring Seokjin's obvious displeasure at me accompanying him.

"You know considering I found all of the evidence, I think you need to give me more credit than you are," I scoffed.

He huffed, not arguing back. He couldn't because I was right.

We followed the officer to the evidence room to find all that we had found in bags to prevent contamination.

"So, do you want the good news or the bad news first?"

"Bad."

"So the bad news is that we processed the three bracelets that were found as well as the blood splatter sample and there wasn't another person's DNA. It was only the victims'. The good news is that I think you might have a story to piece together. Also, the pictures of the blood splatter and the written letters of the blood were analyzed and the professional said that the splatter was definitely the result of a struggle, meaning that Yuri had fought back and fought back hard for her blood to end up far away. She might've tried to escape too, so there was an obvious disconnect between the suspect and the victim. And he said that the initials for now were best to be assumed the initials of the suspect or suspects."

Seokjin stared hard at the bags of evidence and the pictures.

I gave him a questioning look, "Something on your mind partner?"

"Don't call me that, but yeah. I think I have an idea of a story. There was no evidence of break-in at the victims' houses right? So maybe the suspect was around the victims prior to the murders, or the victims were out and then they were taken. They were bound up so a kidnapping situation is clear, but bracelets are what lead me to believe it's the former. All the bracelets mentioned 'best friends' and then some quality that best friends should have, however they were crossed out. So maybe the person we're looking for is an ex-friend of the three girls," he theorized.

My head was racing as thoughts swirled in my brain.

Use that big brain that has no memories and figure it out Cheonsa.

"I have an idea. We need to get their school senior roster. Complete with every student. Can you email the school for that information? And while your at it, I need you to find the high school of Hwang Jisol as well and get a senior roster for her too. It's been six years, but from what I've learned, high schools are supposed to keep all records of rosters for ten years after the class graduates before they throw it away,"
I said.

Seokjin sighed, "I told you we've already talked to their close friends, what is this going to do?"

"You talked to their close friends but you can't deny how suspicious their answers were. They were too similarly worded. You only got the inner circle, but that doesn't mean someone on an outer circle doesn't know something," I said.

Without any further arguments I gave a knowing look to the officer and headed back to my desk.

There was something else I wanted to look into. I wanted to see the parents' statements.

When looking through their statements, they all said similar things. That their daughters had no enemies and were regarded as genuine girls who cared about others. Part of me thought it was parental bias, but there was this nagging feeling that it was the truth.

Out of curiosity, I decided to google the parents to see if maybe they had enemies who might want to target the girls, and you won't believe what I found.

I gasped, "Seokjin come here."

He looked over my shoulder, a gasp of his own escaping his plump lips.

"No way. I'm really filing a report about whoever was handling this," he huffed.

These girls might've had more enemies than they could've ever realized.

It just so happened that all four victims had parents with high social status. All of them were some kind of CEO or political person.

For instance, Yuri's parents are chairmans of Min Corp. and are held in grand regard in the business world.

This automatically puts a target on the backs of the victims as their parents might've angered someone in some way and caused that person to target their daughters as a means of revenge.

"But, they're all leading totally different empires. Yuri's family is a giant in the business game, but Haewon's parents are the owners of the largest food chain in Korea, and Jaehwa's parents are in politics," I sighed. The connection was obvious but also far too different for targets. There was no way someone was slighted by all three.

"What about Jisol? What was her family like?" Seokjin asked.

"Her late mother was the CEO of (make up a name) Cosmetics. There's no record on Jisol's father but it says that after her mother died, the company was passed onto her son and Jisol's brother, Hwang Jibeom."

"Father left before her older brother was even born so there won't be any connection between the two. I tracked him down to check it out, but he moved to the U.S. a long time ago and had an alibi so he's irrelevant," Seokjin said.

This changed everything. So now we knew that the girls all had connections to extremely wealthy lifestyles and their families were very influential and prominent in the media.

Who knows how many enemies these people had made in their careers?

There was another knock on the door.

The officer from before came in with the official rosters for Haewon, Jaehwa, and Yuri as well as the one from six years ago for Jisol.

"Can you start calling these people and find out if they know anything? I'm going to email the victims' families about this," I said, passing the roster list to him.

He gave me a gentle smile. He didn't say anything but he smiled. Maybe he was finding it in his heart to respect me and trust me.

I was serious about this. About this job. About finding out more about myself. As of now, it was my only identity.