Chapter 17

"Detective Hwang, I checked out the party check-in and checkout from that Hweseung kid and I found this..."

The officer handed me the checkout roster, and just as we had suspected, Misun was caught leaving the party at the same time that each of the girls were.

Seokjin's expression hardened into a serious glare and he gave me a firm nod.

"Thanks. Did you ever get a hit on the dive party that Jisol attended six years ago?" Seokjin asked.

The officer shook his head, "Sorry. We tried getting in contact with Hweseung again but he said that the guy had long since left the 'dive' scene so the files were probably deleted."

"Dammit. Anyway, thank you, officer," Seokjin said dismissing the officer.

I was already getting ready with all the supplies we needed.

"We can nail Misun first and then we'll find out Minchul's involvement through her. She's young, she'll crack eventually," Seokjin said.

We already knew it was Minchul thanks to Jisol up in the head but we needed physical evidence. Surprisingly, Seokjin was going along with the fact that somehow Jisol's spirit resided in me and he used her recollection of events to pin down ways to catch Minchul.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

I nodded.

The two of us headed out to the car and set off to the Choi residence.

Jisol continued to nervously chatter in my head as we got closer.

When we arrived we approached the front door and knocked, unsure of what to expect.

The door was answered by an older couple who stared at us in confusion.

"Hi, can I help you?" The older woman sweetly asked.

"Uh hi. I'm Detective Kim and this is Detective Hwang. We are currently investigating the deaths of Lee Yuri, Song Haewon, and Yoo Jaehwa and we were wondering if we could just ask your daughter Misun a few questions?" Seokjin bowed politely.

I was rather shocked and I think Seokjin was too. Their parents seemed so...domesticated.

They let us in immediately and even served us tea and cookies.

"So can we ask what our daughter has to do with it?" The man asked.

"Oh nothing really, we're just checking with a few students who went to the parties that the girls were last seen at," I lied.

Missus Choi sighed, "It really is sad. First, my poor Minchul had to experience the death of that Jisol girl and now our little Misun is experiencing it with the three girls. It's truly saddening. The two of them were reeling from their death."

I gave Seokjin a sideways glance as he wrote this down.

"Actually, if you don't mind, we'd love to ask you both a few questions," I said.

Mister Choi gave a gentle smile, "Of course. Anything that could help."

Considering this was the same guy who protested several of his former employers, it was rather strange to see how open he was to all this. How could their kids have deviated so far from them?

"We were wondering if you could just tell us a bit about your son and daughter. Just anything about them at all," Seokjin said.

Missus Choi beamed with pride, "I couldn't have asked for a better set of kids. Misun is so compassionate and she's kind to everyone but she won't hesitate to stand up for herself. I feel bad because as the younger sibling she never understood what was going on but knew when we were having a hard time. I wish I could've given her all that she wanted but I always tried to work side jobs to get her some things that would help her fit in more. With our jobs, we were able to afford this place but the mortgage is awful and along with other essentials, we barely have enough for anything. Minchul, he's a real angel. He started working odd jobs so that he could buy things for himself. He always cared about everyone and always wanted to help poorer communities. I honestly don't know what I did to deserve such great kids and I wish I could've done more as a parent."